Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody in the fire service? Query please

Options
  • 10-12-2007 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I posted this in the Work/Jobs forum about a year ago, but not much help unfortunately. Might have more success here! I think civdef is in the fire service, so maybe he can answer :)

Anyways, I'm considering joining the DFB in a few years, but I have trouble with my ears. My hearing is fine, no problems, but my eardrums are perferated (and have been most of my life), so I'm not able to submerge my head into the water. I don't have to avoid water or anything like that. I can still mess about in the water and can swim, and it doesn't matter if I get a bit of a splash in, but I have to keep the oul ceann outa the water as much as possible or I can get ear infections at worst.

Not a big hinderance in my life for the most part. But I'm just concerned that training (and indeed operations should I become a full timer) would involve water rescue for example, which could be a problem. I know the FB assist with that sort of thing from time to time, but it's not a daily thing.

Do ye think it could be a problem?

I believe there's an operation that I can have to rectify it, but it might be more trouble than its worth if it won't affect my career choice.

Cheers for any help

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Regarding the medical, it is fairly strict and there is a hearing test involved. There is also swift water recue in Dublin Fire Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Hi, I honestly don't know, but I can ask around. You could also try the folks at irishfireservices.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Try Mercer's clinic at mercer's place and ask if you can talk to Dr Grogan as he performs the medicals for the DFB . That way you might be able to get an answer. I think this is the number 01-4022337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers lads

Do either of ye remember your training?

I'm really just wondering how much of it is water-based, and what tasks are carried out in the water. Are you diving in and retrieving items from the bottom of a pool, or wearing a floatation device and bringing a drowning person to the shore?

Also how frequently would you have to attend an incident that's in water (in your day-to-day operations)? And would it usually be someone has fallen in and you just bring them ashore? If say a car went into the Liffey -- would that be beyond what the FS can attend to?

Cheers

ps. I asked at irishfireservices.com , don't think I got great answers.... I'll check the thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Firstly the DFB perform water rescues in Dublin with Swift Water Rescue Technicians ( SRT's).
    Secondly as part of recruit training you swim once a week and are taught basic lifesaving.
    Recruit classes do a small amount of SRT work as part of training to First responder level in Water awareness.
    As CelticFire says talk to DR. Cillian McGrogan in Mercers Clinic ( Behind Stephens Green Shopping centre) , he should fill you in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers folks!

FYI - I got my brother to ask his friend (a fireman) about it and he said that there's no water-based activities during training, and that you don't even have to be able to swim! And SRT is optional, also.

Sounds good :) Nothing stopping me applying now anyways (won't be doing so for 2 years anyway :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Cheers folks!

FYI - I got my brother to ask his friend (a fireman) about it and he said that there's no water-based activities during training, and that you don't even have to be able to swim! And SRT is optional, also.

Sounds good :) Nothing stopping me applying now anyways (won't be doing so for 2 years anyway :o)

As part of recruit training you swim once a week and are taught basic lifesaving.
    Recruit classes do a small amount of SRT work as part of training to First responder level in Water awareness

Advertisement