Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Crawl - how to avoid getting tired?

Options
  • 09-12-2007 9:14pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As mentioned in the other thread I recently starting swimming again. Last Sunday 750metres. This Sunday 1km.

I alternate between front crawl and breast stroke every 4 lengths / 100 metres.

How can I increase my front crawl endurance so that I don't have to switch to the breast stroke every other 4 lengths?

I presume the obvious answer is to swim more front crawl lengths, but if anyone has any other info let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Technique. Technique. Technique!

Incorporating technique drills into your work out will allow you to go farther, faster and for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Mix it up a little...Do 10x50meter lengths, take a very short breather inbetween them. Also as above technique, when you do a stroke count 1000-1 and leave your hand out and make sure you try and hit it with other hand before you do another stroke. Also leave one arm out stretched and just hit your other hand off it while doing a stroke, then switch hands when coming back down.

Check this out, you will see what I mean.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si6VeAfluQ&feature=related

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

mad m wrote: »
    when you do a stroke count 1000-1

Eh, can you translate the above?

Thanks for the youtube link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Keep going with your 100's alternating strokes
    Take 20 seconds rest between them week 1
    Week 2, move to 100 FC, 20 seconds rest, 100 FC, 20 seconds rest, 100 BS
    Week 3 move to 200 FC 1 min rest, 200 BS

See if that helps, But be as strict as you can during rest time. And get lots of air in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Eh, can you translate the above?
    He is talking about a swimming drill called "catch-up", where you deliberatly create a pause in your stroke when your hand enters the water so that the other hand catches up to it (and then it stays in that position while the first hand does a stroke).

For you I would guess the problem is technique and you need to improve it in order for your stroke to become more efficient. I think you should try and get a coach/teacher to take a look at it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just to update this thread..

Yesterday I managed the 750 metres all front crawl... waaahhay!

It took approx 20 mins. Now I just need to speed things up a bit. I'm aiming to get to sub 15 by end of May. I guess cutting over a minute off my time each month is pushing it, but I'm hoping if I can get to the pool about twice a week I may get it down by a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Well done dude!

You can get the time down with 2 days a week in the pool.

Is that Warmup + 750M + swimdown? I'd reckon try and get your mileage up so you're in the pool for 45 minutes. Can reccomend something if you like.

Thanks! I did 750m front crawl again today, this time in 19 minutes.

Yes, please recommend something Killgore Trout. Currently I am not warming up or cooling down, just getting into the pool and doing the distance.

I was thinking that I should spend more that 19 or 20 minutes in the pool to justify the journey there and back.

Today I found a massive speed different at about 20 of 30 lengths when I stuck my head further under the water. I must have increased my speed by about 50%. After about 100 metres of this I had to slow down again.

I have also ordered a book called Total Immersion which seems to have gotten good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

BossArky wrote: »
    Thanks! I did 750m front crawl again today, this time in 19 minutes.

Yes, please recommend something Killgore Trout. Currently I am not warming up or cooling down, just getting into the pool and doing the distance.

I was thinking that I should spend more that 19 or 20 minutes in the pool to justify the journey there and back.

Today I found a massive speed different at about 20 of 30 lengths when I stuck my head further under the water. I must have increased my speed by about 50%. After about 100 metres of this I had to slow down again.

I have also ordered a book called Total Immersion which seems to have gotten good reviews.

Good work man, I'm hoping to be at your level soon enough. I've read that book too-I do the head down a bit further thing too, as per the book and I find it feels better.

Do you ever do the drills from the book, or have you just taken the whole "reach further, become streamlined, get your chest down and legs up" idea and tried to put that in your swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Sorry, just re read your post, you've ordered the book, not read it. Keep us updated on how you get on with it.

• Advertisement

Damn, I was nearly finised this post when the power in the building went!

Adding structure as well as distance helps

750M in 20 Minutes is 2:40 per 100 M.

So basing it around that:

200M Warmup. Take it easy - alternating strokes. Don't tire yourself out.

Rest

4 x 100 on 2m40s (if you come in on 2m35s you get 5 seconds rest, if you come in on 2m30 you get 10 seconds rest etc...)

2 x 100 on 2m30s

1 Min Rest

4 x 50 on 1m25s
    2 x 50 on 1m20s

rest

200 Swimdown. Again - take it easy, no time limit etc. Practice your stroke here.

Hopefully there's a minute clock in the pool - it's the easiest way to guage your time quicky so you're not wasting time fiddling with a stopwatch.

The 100's will help you get a grip on pace, knowing when or when not to put the hammer down. 50s'll help your sprinting, for bursts of power in your event.

Adjust the times if it's too easy hard.

Mix it up - for instance insted of 4 x 100 you could do 2x200. Change the 6 50s to 2 x 150. Etc...

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Sorry, just re read your post, you've ordered the book, not read it. Keep us updated on how you get on with it.

Will do. I'll report back once the book arrives. However, I have to finish Don Quixote first so it may be a while :p
    Damn, I was nearly finised this post when the power in the building went!

Adding structure as well as distance helps

750M in 20 Minutes is 2:40 per 100 M.

So basing it around that:

200M Warmup. Take it easy - alternating strokes. Don't tire yourself out.

Rest

4 x 100 on 2m40s (if you come in on 2m35s you get 5 seconds rest, if you come in on 2m30 you get 10 seconds rest etc...)

2 x 100 on 2m30s

1 Min Rest

4 x 50 on 1m25s
    2 x 50 on 1m20s

rest

200 Swimdown. Again - take it easy, no time limit etc. Practice your stroke here.

Hopefully there's a minute clock in the pool - it's the easiest way to guage your time quicky so you're not wasting time fiddling with a stopwatch.

The 100's will help you get a grip on pace, knowing when or when not to put the hammer down. 50s'll help your sprinting, for bursts of power in your event.

Adjust the times if it's too easy hard.

Mix it up - for instance insted of 4 x 100 you could do 2x200. Change the 6 50s to 2 x 150. Etc...

Thanks. I'll try this out over the next week or two. Only problem is that as you say, there is only a minute hand in the pool. I may have to dig out my heart rate monitor stop watch which is gathering dust somewhere.

Cheers for the help all.

BossArky wrote: »
    Only problem is that as you say, there is only a minute hand in the pool. I may have to dig out my heart rate monitor stop watch which is gathering dust somewhere.

Cheers for the help all.

No worries - the minute hand is great, once you get used to it you'll only need to glance at it in the middle of a set. You know roughly how long it takes you to do 100M (less than 3 minutes) - so if you start on the minute (note the colour tip if it's a double ended hand), swim, you finish, the minute hand is at the quarter to (45s) position can be pretty sure your time was 2:45. The other options; 3.45 - you'd have to be swimming considerably slower than normal, 1:45 - well, you'd be out of breath].

Apply that to a set of 3 x 100 on 2:40
    1. Start 0m - finish on the half past (30s) - time 2:30 - rest 10 seconds.
    2. Go on the twenty-to (40s) - finish at the quarter past (15s) - time 2:35 - rest 5 seconds.
    3. Go on the twenty past (20s) - finish on the top of the clock (0s) - time 2:40. set finished. Total time 8 minutes.

the minute hand is great, once you get used to it you'll only need to glance at it in the middle of a set.

I understand what you are saying about how to use the clock if it is only a minute hand counter.

However, my pool-side clock has 60 minutes marked out on it, but no seconds. This means I can only guesstimate my times to the nearest minute. No way of knowing if I did 750m in 19 minutes or 19.5, if you know what I mean.

I think I will need to bring my own stop watch. Today the clock was broken anyway. I did some warm ups (100m) and cool downs(150m) too, as well as the 750m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

most pools have a "clock" with one big hand on it that stretches diagonally across the clock face. Typically it has a blue half and a red half and takes a minute (hence the minute clock) for a 360 rotation. I've seen other types of designs but usually it's simply a clock with only a seconds hand.

Sometimes you might hear swimmers saying is "six times one hundred off two going on red top" what that means is that the first swimmer in the group is going to kick off when the red half of the hand is pointing up (12 o'clock), (s)he is going to swim 100 m, if (s)he does this in 1min45sec, (s)he gets 15 sec rest, if it takes 1.55 only 5 sec rest allowed and on the 2 minute mark (i.e. off 2) (s)he will start the second 100m, this will be repeated for 6 x 100's. MOst commonly the rest of the group follow at 5 sec intervals with the slower people (i.e. me) going last.

Advertisement