Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolmine Recycling Centre

Options
  • 09-12-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Just came across this on Joan Butron's website

No Recycling Facilities for People in Dublin 15 for Two Days in the Run-Up to Christmas
    December 3, 2007
    People in Dublin 15 will be left without a recycling centre for two full days in the run-up to Christmas.

The Coolmine Recycling Centre is due to re-open on Thursday December 13th. However the temporary recycling centre in Damastown in Industrial Estate in Mulhuddart will be closing two days beforehand. This means that anyone who needs to recycle anything will have to travel further afield to reach any recycling facilities.

We all know how cluttered it can get at Christmas so this is especially bad timing.

The Coolmine Recycling Centre has been closed since July 2007 to allow Fingal County Council to undertake major refurbishment and expansion work on one of its busiest public facilities.

Containers and other recycling equipment from Damastown will be moved on Tuesday 11th and Wednesday 12th of December to make Coolmine ready for re-opening on the morning of December 13th.

Details of opening hours, location map, charges and materials accepted are available on
    www.dublinwaste.ie and www.fingalcoco.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's good news that Coolmine is re-opening. In fairness, I don't think two days without a facility is going to inconvenience that many people, especially as it's midweek. If all the equipment is in Damastown it won't just magically appear in Coolmine, so it's only natural that there'll be a break in service. Seems to me that Burton is just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

zaph wrote: »
    It's good news that Coolmine is re-opening. In fairness, I don't think two days without a facility is going to inconvenience that many people, especially as it's midweek. If all the equipment is in Damastown it won't just magically appear in Coolmine, so it's only natural that there'll be a break in service. Seems to me that Burton is just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Jesus, zaph you obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed.

What equipment? A load of skimps which are removed most days when full? The new facility at Coolmine has be six month in the making. If you prepared to put up with less than average services for a poor local authority that's you problem.

I would recommend that you keep your personal political sniping off this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

TBH damastown is soo far out from me I have never used it so it is like i have been with out for the entire time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

zaph wrote: »

+1

OMG 2 DAYS!!:rolleyes: Get over it Joan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

2 Days? We've been without this facility for months now! Bit late for Joanie to be getting worried about it dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

How come you all picking this announcement in such a negitive aspect?

The reason I placed it up was to inform people as to the re-opening of the new re-cycling centre and nothing else.

Let's not turn this forum into a place of personal political sniping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

You're the person quoting from a politician's press release.
    The announcement quoted is structured in the most negative format possible. You're then claiming that anyone finding fault with this release, is guilty of personal political snipping. If you had wanted to inform people, you could have simply posted the information, in a fair and balanced manner, you failed to do that.

TBH: 2 days, in middle of the week is not a massive issue. Anyone wishing to use the facility would wait, or use an alternative. D15 is not an island, if people feel then need to recycle on those two days, they can travel to alternative.

Really there are buses that run to the one in Damastown ?
    Please point me to what the are and were they run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The reason I placed it up was to inform people as to the re-opening of the new re-cycling centre and nothing else.

And then people had the cheek to discuss it. I hate when people on discussion forums do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Really there are buses that run to the one in Damastown ?
    Please point me to what the are and were they run ?
    That's part of my point!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

How come you all picking this announcement in such a negitive aspect?

Let's not turn this forum into a place of personal political sniping!

I wouldnt take it to heart Pat, people on boards rarely miss an opportunity to have a laugh. There will be some serious discussion though amongst all the jokes and digs.
    Keep posting info like that as I for one am delighted to hear the centre will be opening again soon and never have thought to trawl through the local reps websites for an answer!

Jesus, zaph you obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed.

What equipment? A load of skimps which are removed most days when full? The new facility at Coolmine has be six month in the making. If you prepared to put up with less than average services for a poor local authority that's you problem.

I would recommend that you keep your personal political sniping off this forum.

Pat, tbh I think you're the one taking this a bit personally. You'd need to be a pretty sensitive soul to spot any political sniping in my post. It's clear from your posts here on the forum that you're a Joan Burton supporter, and I have no problem with that, or Burton herself, if I had I wouldn't have voted for her.

What I was taking issue with was the fact that the news was being presented in a negative manner rather than the positive that it is. It's genuinely good news that the centre is re-opening because, as has already been noted, many people have accepted that they've been without a facility for six months. Given that reality, another two days isn't going to kill anybody. Burton is correct in stating that a lot of extra waste is generated at Christmas, but most of this is on or after Christmas Day when presents have been opened and people start shopping in the sales. If no centre was available for a couple of days then it would be a more legitimate complaint. Regarding the equipment, well I was just going by what was stated in the press release you posted that it would take 2 days to move it all down, I've no idea what's involved.

If I caused you any offence Pat, I apologise, no offence was intended, and please do continue posting here because you've already made a valuable contribution to the forum. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you all of the time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Jesus will you all stop whining "omg we haven't had a recycling centre in six months". Yes you have, it's just been moved to a different location. What about the people who live near Damastown "omg they're moving it five minutes down the road, what are we going to do" (I'm being sarcastic there...)

There is a bus that goes to Damastown the 38a. Then it's only a five minute walk to the centre.

People actually live in Damastown? :p

Yeah, I knew there was a bus went up there, I've seen it when doing disaster recovery testing in IBM. Didn't know which one though. I'd say most people would prefer not to drag their recycling onto the bus with them if they can avoid it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jesus will you all stop whining "omg we haven't had a recycling centre in six months".

Eh, noone's whining. Comparing 2 days to 6 months for the sake of perspective isn't whining.
    zaph wrote:
    Yeah, I knew there was a bus went up there, I've seen it when doing disaster recovery testing in IBM.

Next you'll be talking about Bigfoot sightings :p

Yeah, the 38 and 38a serve the Damastown road. The 220 also goes as far as the roundabout by Ladyswell, but I think it could be a 20 minute walk to the recycling centre from there. The road is actually a lot longer than it seems when you're walking/driving.

Afaik, it's about 20 mins walk from Coolmine recycling centre to the nearest 38/38a stop. A good bit further if you live in Clonsilla.

Stark wrote: »
    Next you'll be talking about Bigfoot sightings :p

Well now that you mention it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

lol zaph I said near Damastown, I wouldn't actually expect people to live in that sh*t hole industrial estate, amount of chemical factories up that way is a sham.

So then you can see how people feel that having a recycling center so far out is not serving the local communities ?

Really what happened to the plan to havebottle banks at regular intervals outside estate or schools.

Advertisement