Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing a Christmas present please !

Options
  • 09-12-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I am looking for something for my brother and I hope someone might be able to make a recommendation. I know very little about classical music and would appreciate the help. He has recently become interested in opera and I would like to get him some cd or dvd collection that gives explanations of the backgrounds to the actual opera as well as the music. Any ideas please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 amity island

Hi Jos28,
    here's some details of an Opera 5-cd compilation set I enjoy;

'100 Opera Classics' by Castle Pulse / Sanctuary Records, 2001, codes PBX CD 560 & LC6448.

It has all the famous aria's, mostly pre-war recordings and even back to 1911 at least..very athmospheric. Drawback is it doesn't have any booklet or background to the stroies. The settings are always outlandish and mad funny. Search amazon for a DVD set then your brother can enjoy the scenes aswell.
    Happy Hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million for that Amity. Thats exactly the kind of boxed set I was looking for. I will check Amazon and hopefully they will deliver in time for Christmas. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Bit late but the record company Naxos do great CDs in a series called Opera Plus which includes the opera and a CD explaining what's going on in it, and meanings and such. I've heard that release of Mozart's Magic Flute and it's very good.

Advertisement