Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptops & Windows Vista

Options
  • 09-12-2007 2:39am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Two questions.
    1) Are people still advising computer buyers to avoid Windows Vista?

2) Whats the backlog on Dell orders?

Cheers.
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I ordered my Vostro 1500 on 21st Nov and got it delivered on the 26th. That's pretty good in my books :)

What I did was, because I already have my own copy of XP Pro, I ordered it with Vista and immediately wiped that and installed my XP Pro, I now have XP Pro and Vista, which I may install once it's bug free. At the moment, I'm sticking to XP.

Just another question on the Dells, is the NSS software actually necessary? I haven't installed it yet on my XP and everything is going fine. Am I likely to run into any trouble because I haven't installed it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

NSS Software?

It's on the drivers CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I too haveno idea what NSS software is ...please do tell..
    As for the OP topics , well Vista is alright, it will take the person sone getting used to it and its like the pink elephant in the Room thats not going away so we had best get used to it.
    I do recommend minimum 2GB ram to anyone getting any laptop/desktop with vista and not to skimp on the graphics too, just to try and make the experience as painless as possible as some people get budget 512mb machines and think vista will fly! Aint gonna happen!
    There are some delays on Dell's at the mo, we had a Vostro on order (don't recall model number) but it took a month due to a parts shortage, althought I think this was an exception.

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat=sup&cs=&k=latitude+d520&qmp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd/1003/7&sort=K&snpsd=A&nf=19019~7~141296&dt=&navla=19019~7~141296&fm=&ss=&ira=False&cp1=-1&cp2=-1&si=&spf=&ssysid=&ssysn=&stag=&~srd=f&~ck=anav

That explains what NSS is, kinda. See it says the updates are "critical" but I haven't installed it yet and haven't had any problems. The reason I haven't installed it is because I hate having any unnecessary bulk on my system and extra programs running when I don't need them to be.

Majik, when did you order that machine with the month delay? I was very impressed that it only took 5 days to deliver mine, especially having worked in the Dell switchboard before and hearing the many many people every day ringing up about their deliveries being weeks late! Took a big risk ordering with dell but it's all been peachy so far:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

i got a vostro 1500 recently with vista and i've no problems with it...?
    don't see why you'd bother wipe it for xp
    also delivery was 5 days

Well I've been told many a time that Vista is not yet ready and has quite a few bugs. Internet explorer kept shutting down on me too for some reason. Don't get me wrong, some aspects of Vista are great but I'm just not willing to put up with the possibility of running into bugs further down the line when I can just install a fresh copy of XP, which is what I'm used to and do everything I could do with Vista anyway (the important things).

As I said, I asked for Vista so in time, when it's bug free, I have the option to install it. People have said XP took about 2 years from release to being stable so probably looking at the same time for Vista?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My sister has vista on her laptop and so far she hasn't had any problems with it. If she had I would have my head wrecked with them. My sister is by no means technically minded. She knows how to work a laptop and that's it. So I can't see anything wrong with. I haven't really used it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Got a Dell M1330 with Vista and have had no problems. There is the odd annoying pop up or reminder which can be easily sorted out by turning them off. I don't use internet explorer so i havn't had the IE problems others have mentioned. Firefox all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Orderd an XPS 1730 on 16th Nov and was given a delivery date on 1/12. It came on time, and no issues with vista.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are there any hardware compatability issues? I have a desktop now, but thinking of ordreing a Dell laptop as a replacement/upgrade but I am worried that some of the stuff I have such as external hard drive (Maxtor 3200) and things such as my Archos 605, Digital Camera, ipod etc might not function correctly with it as I remember hearing before about driver compatability issues? I can't really remember though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hard drive will be fine. It should pick the archos and digital camera up as external storage devices even if you don't have drivers for them. I think there was a problem with iTunes when vista first came out but I'd say it's fixed by now.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cheers. iTunes is really the least important of them anyways. I might go for it, it's been about 4 weeks since I bought my last gadget, so I need a fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I got a XPS1330 with Vista. I'd have preferred it with XP, but Vista seems to work fine. No compatibility problems so far, no crashes, doesnt zip along but fast enough. Most of the 'annoyances' are tweakable, and im sure SP1 will fix some of the real problems (slow file transfers etc) shortly.

I definitely don't 'like' it, but it's alright, it wouldnt put me off buying a laptop if i had my eye on it.

Advertisement