Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server Express and proxies

Options
  • 07-12-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭

I have SQL Server Express 2005 installed on my laptop.I connect to the internet on the lappie by a proxy as my desktop has skyDSL and there is a way of configuring it so other machines can connect to it by proxy (there's a crossover cable between the laptop and the desktop).
    I have been trying to connect on the laptop to the server that holds my sql server database (hosting365.ie) through SQL Server Express with no success.
    This is obviously because the lappie is not directly connected to the internet but by proxy.
    I have been changing the settings on sql server configuration manager (I have SQL Server Management Studio Express installed) to make it use the proxy but with no luck.
    I am wondering is it actually possible to use a proxy on SQL Server Express is it only possible on the full version?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

lukin wrote: »
    I have SQL Server Express 2005 installed on my laptop.I connect to the internet on the lappie by a proxy as my desktop has skyDSL and there is a way of configuring it so other machines can connect to it by proxy (there's a crossover cable between the laptop and the desktop).
    I have been trying to connect on the laptop to the server that holds my sql server database (hosting365.ie) through SQL Server Express with no success.
    This is obviously because the lappie is not directly connected to the internet but by proxy.
    I have been changing the settings on sql server configuration manager (I have SQL Server Management Studio Express installed) to make it use the proxy but with no luck.
    I am wondering is it actually possible to use a proxy on SQL Server Express is it only possible on the full version?

What version of SQL Server is on the Server ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

and do you have remote connections enabled on your server ?

Any error messages ?
    Anything in the event viewer ?
    Have you granted rights on the server so your account/machine can access it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

and do you have remote connections enabled on your server ?

Any error messages ?
    "An error has occured while establishing a connection to the server.
    When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider:Named Pipes Provider, error: 40-Could not open a connection to SQL Server)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error:53)"

I changed the default settings so that it does allow remote connections.
    Anything in the event viewer ?
    I looked at the logs, there's a lot of stuff in there but this might be what's wrong:

"2007-12-07 21:24:08.56 spid11s The Database Mirroring protocol transport is disabled or not configured."
    Have you granted rights on the server so your account/machine can access it ?

The server is remote (my hosting company's) so I can't do that. I am using the login I created in the control panel the hosting co. provided.
    What version of SQL Server is on the Server ?
    It doesn't say what version but I can connect fine to it on my desktop so that's not the problem I think.

Advertisement