Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Change and "Seasonal" celebrations

Options
  • 07-12-2007 12:28pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had an interesting thought last night as I was talking with my housemate about how mild the weather's been. I'm fairly sure we can attribute some of our mild winter (so far) to a shift in the climate and seasons - let me explain what I mean. I was saying last night how these last 10 years I've noticed a definte movement of winter from it's traditional November - January to January - March. Now, I'm not basing this on any hard evidence, just my own opinion and observations of our weather. So following on from that, my brain wondered what would happen if there was a serious shift in the weather to the extent that the planet, the flora and fauna, etc all started to think of winter as autumn, spring as winter etc. I.e. leaves start falling in November, new life starts in June and so on - you get what I mean...

I guess I'm wondering can you still (for example) celebrate the harvest at Lughnasa when the crops aren't going to be ready till Samhain? The Solstices and Equinoxes would be the same (as I understand such things, but please correct me if I'm wrong), but could the meaning's of such things change?

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw the topic open for discussion and see what people thought.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Kharn wrote: »
    I had an interesting thought last night as I was talking with my housemate about how mild the weather's been. I'm fairly sure we can attribute some of our mild winter (so far) to a shift in the climate and seasons - let me explain what I mean. I was saying last night how these last 10 years I've noticed a definte movement of winter from it's traditional November - January to January - March. Now, I'm not basing this on any hard evidence, just my own opinion and observations of our weather.
    I know what your saying... I have had those thoughts regularly over the last 10 - 15 years too... But again, they are just musings. However, it should be noted, that the gulf stream has been slowly shifting off our shores and creating a noticeable effect.
    Kharn wrote: »

I guess I'm wondering can you still (for example) celebrate the harvest at Lughnasa when the crops aren't going to be ready till Samhain? The Solstices and Equinoxes would be the same (as I understand such things, but please correct me if I'm wrong), but could the meaning's of such things change?
    That depends on the system of belief you work within.
    For example, in the celtic systems, the actual concepts are dated by lunar calender, such as the next full lunar cycle after the winter solstice is Imbolg. The date of Feb 1st is a more recent cultural adaptation. Think about it, how long have we had modern calenders, what about when people worked from juilian calenders... and before that?
    It is widely believed that the ancient Celts used a lunar system. Similarly for Beltane, Lughnasadh, and Samhain.
    Also remember, that few systems celebrate these things as JUST seasonal observance. Many tales of myth and legend are also associated with them, many of these have specific Deities attached to them, such as Brid at Imbolg, Lugh and Tailltu at Lughnasadh, Sacthach at Samhain and so on.
    So basically, agrarian attitudes are not the sole purpose of celebrating a festival.

Personally, within the various systems that I work, the alteration, slight as it is, is not the only consideration, and tends to come into things as a correspondence regarding the whole year as a unit. Each of the festivals that I celebrate, are not currently effected by weather or climate change as it currently stands.
    No matter the weather, or how long the leaves stay on the trees, many other concepts of the cycle of the seasons still take place regardless. The initial viable changes are indeed worrying with regards to ecology as a whole. But I don't see these changes effecting the nature and reason of pagan practice.

Advertisement