Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdmi = Hd?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Small bit of help required... I have just confused the life out of myself.

Some time these days an LCD will say HDMI input etc. But may not have one of those "HD Ready" stickers on it.

Does HDMI always = HD ?

Sorry if that is a stoopid question :(

Any Educating of me appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭Homer

Very simply, if it has a HDMI input then it is HD ready! Some screens are more HD ready than others to make things even more confusing! For the past few years "HD ready" was put on most screens but the maximum resolution they would support is 1080i not the maximum 1080p.
    What are you going to use the screen for? What size are you looking at? The more info you give, the more help we can give you back!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

HDMI does not equal HD ready. A screen has to have a few more features before it can get the HD Ready logo and a 1080p screen is not "more HD ready than others". It just a higher resolution screen.

Basically "HD ready" means it supports 720p & 1080i (screen resolutions) and it supports HDCP (a copy protection that is used by most HD sources like SkyHD, HD-DVD/Blu-ray players, PS3). If you buy a screen that doesn't support HDCP you won't be able to get a HD image from any of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

industria wrote: »
    Very simply, if it has a HDMI input then it is HD ready! Some screens are more HD ready than others to make things even more confusing! For the past few years "HD ready" was put on most screens but the maximum resolution they would support is 1080i not the maximum 1080p.
    What are you going to use the screen for? What size are you looking at? The more info you give, the more help we can give you back!

Hi Industri. Thanks for the reply. I am glad to see I was not "that wrong" in being confused over the labeling :)

I already made the purchase and it was a Samsung 20 LCD Monitor/TV 2032MW. I just had a slight panic attack as I could not see HD on the "listings" down the side of the box or on the screen itself :) Just HDMi in the inputs. My mate bought the 22 inch one and I saw it last night... but on the side of his screen it had a HD ready sticker. Thus my confusion.

It is primarily going to be a monitor in the spare room but will also be used as a TV there for guests. The HD was not that important but me being educted on it was :D

Thanks you for helping! Much appreciated.

Well i've never come across a screen that had HDMI and didn't support HDCP?
    Maybe you could name any that would be available in high street retail stores that the OP should avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/lcd/lcdtvmonitors/ls20pmasfedc.asp

Thats the one there. It is no longer on Komplett!

I notice on the bottom it is HD ready. Why Komplett didn't have that on the spec I'll never know :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

industria wrote: »
    Well i've never come across a screen that had HDMI and didn't support HDCP?
    Maybe you could name any that would be available in high street retail stores that the OP should avoid?
    Don't know any off the top of my head but I wouldn't assume if I buy some cheap screen it is HD ready just cause it has HDMI. Misleading titles and features that sound good are often added to TVs so people think they are getting a good TV.

That answers my question. Thank you!

Advertisement