Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine - Hillwalking/Mountaineering?

Options
  • 07-12-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I am hoping to get my Dad a subscription to a magazine as a present - but can't seem to find any suitable ones. Could you recommend something for me? He's mainly into hillwalking and mountaineering, so I'm not sure if the Outdoors Magazine is really suitable but please correct me if I'm wrong!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

If you want to get him a subscription to an Irish magazine your fairly limited. I presume you mean outsider .. www.outsider.ie covers mountaineering, kayaking skiing e.t.c

The only other Irish mountaineering magazine afaik is the Mountain log which comes out 4 times a year, but I think you can only get this if your a member of the mountaineering council.

Otherwise you'll have to look at the UK magazines which are far better for gear reviews and the like. Outsider might review three jackets or Ice axes or whatever in an issue whereas the UK magazines might review forty at a time. But if he wants to see whats happening in Ireland he'll obviously have to go for one of the irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Outsider Magazine is quite good covering a range of outdoor activities, there's also Walking World Ireland which I've never read. There's the hilariously titled Mountain Log which comes along with MCI membership. You could pay his MCI subscription for the year I suppose -> http://www.mountaineering.ie.

Other than that there's Climb magazine, Alpinist magazine and a host of other climber related mags that you'll find in Easons on O'Connell street in Dublin THE NATIONS CAPITAL!!! (bwah-ha-ha-ha :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Yep outsider.ie was the magazine I was thinking of! I'm not sure he's that into equipment etc. but then again I'm not sure. He's done Elbrus, Kilimanjaro etc. so he probably would - don't really know. I think he is a member of the IMC - but I wouldn't have access to his details to buy him the subscription then!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If he's in the IMC then his subscription to the MCI is already covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Other than that there's Climb magazine, Alpinist magazine and a host of other climber related mags that you'll find in Easons on O'Connell street in Dublin THE NATIONS CAPITAL!!! (bwah-ha-ha-ha :D)

Careful now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

http://www.walkingworldireland.com/ is good. It has good routes and usually somewhere foreign you can dream about going to. Also it has articles on nature which seem to not be present in other outdoor magazines. Outsider is good but it is mainly of surfing/skiing and other cool sports that do not involve getting covered in mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

cavedave wrote: »
    http://www.walkingworldireland.com/ is good. It has good routes and usually somewhere foreign you can dream about going to. Also it has articles on nature which seem to not be present in other outdoor magazines. Outsider is good but it is mainly of surfing/skiing and other cool sports that do not involve getting covered in mud.

Thanks I just checked the rate and it's 28.95 not bad! Think it could be a runner - he's mainly interested in Irish walks I suppose but there's always a plan in mind. Mt. Blanc I think is next :D lunatic!

Advertisement