Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to buy a Satnav? Advice needed

Options
  • 07-12-2007 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,

I know there are many threads on these but seeing as I know very little about them I could do with a little help.

Basically I am looking to buy one for my father who does a lot of driving across the country and who I know would benefit from it.

So I am looking for a pretty decent model in the €150-€200 range (my budget)
    which would be easy to install and use as he is in his 60's and so obviously the easier to navigate the better.

Also are these satnavs like tomtom and belkin portable, can they be moved from one vehicle to another for example?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

BUMP anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well, all the reviews seem to go for either Tom Tom or Garmin as the two best. I've used Sony and Garmin ones, and I prefer Garmin, although in general they're all easy to use and as good as each other.
    I decided to purchase the Garmin Nuvi 250, which has European maps with voice directions and points of interest (basically shows you nearby fuel stations, hotels, food places etc). Apart from that, it has a calculator and currency converter, and that's about it. You can get plenty of more advanced ones, but sounds like he won't be using it for anything other than finding his way around, in which case it's as good as any.
    Best place to get it is on line, www.komplett.ie and www.pixmania.ie seem to be the cheapest, with komplett having some models cheaper, and pixmania having others cheaper. I got the 250 in pixmania for €169 which is fantastic value. With that price for a make like Garmin, it's hard to see past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

PC World have the TomTomV3 Europe for €219

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Thanks folks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hope you dont mind me bumping, but im a tad confused. Getting one for my sister (budget of around €200) for christmas. This thread is pretty much what im looking for only the confusing bit is: TomTom and Garmin. Which make, but which model? Both make seems to do the same thing and are just as good - but what model of the TomTom or what model of the Garmin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Tesco have the TomTom One V3 for €199. This has maps of UK and RoI. You can use the Mapshare option to correct map errors, add, delete, correct Point of Interest info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sully wrote: »
    Hope you dont mind me bumping, but im a tad confused. Getting one for my sister (budget of around €200) for christmas. This thread is pretty much what im looking for only the confusing bit is: TomTom and Garmin. Which make, but which model? Both make seems to do the same thing and are just as good - but what model of the TomTom or what model of the Garmin?

I'm new to this too, but a handy check is to use this site: http://www.gpsreview.net to find out if the GPS uses maps from TeleAtlas or Navteq.

You can see online versions of the maps here:

TeleAtlas: http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com//index.htm
    Navteq: http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER&language=en

TomTom seems to have TeleAtlas which has very bare maps around my house. (not that I'd need satnav around here :D)
    The Garmin, with Navteq maps seems much more detailed.

EDIT: The models I'm talking about are TomTom One V3 and Garmin Nuvi 250

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got the Garmin Nuvi 250 - now to find out what I can do with it, extra features wise!

Advertisement