Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Hz LCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Some argue that manufacturers have hit a brick wall when it comes to refresh rates on LCD screens, and that 100hz has yet to compensate for the problem.

If you want a TV for watching sport... you *might* still be better off with a Plasma screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

100Hz and HD aren't really related. You can have a HD subscription and decoder, but still have lag and streaks from fast moving objects on an LCD. Can't see the review of that TV here, but 100Hz suggests it has a response time of 10ms - you're not going to see any benefit from 100Hz for fast moving objects on screen if the response time is 20ms or more...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

xanthor wrote: »
    Some argue that manufacturers have hit a brick wall when it comes to refresh rates on LCD screens, and that 100hz has yet to compensate for the problem.

If you want a TV for watching sport... you *might* still be better off with a Plasma screen.

You can get that particular tv(which i know is excellent) for a damn side less than john lewis.Go to directtvs.co.uk.You can get it there for about 1000 euro including a swift delivery

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I see that John Lewis are offering a 5 year guarantee for that TV. I presume this is some sort of extended warranty from JL, as Sony don't normally offer 5 year warranties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Important reading lads ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker-free

and especially ,
    Flicker is far more noticeable on traditional cathode ray tube television sets than on LCD or plasma displays, which do not require the technology when receiving Progressive Scan signals.

And 100hz or whatever , has nothing to do with the refresh rate of an LCD ( usually listed in ms or milliseconds ) , thats an inherent part of the screen , and is not related to CRT scan line refresh rate ,

You getting technologies mixed up here , 100hz flicker free is mostly related to CRT's only , not flat panels.

This , from the ad link above ,
    With the new Motionflow +100Hz technology, instead of getting 50 frames per second, you get 100. It works by intelligently creating and inserting artificial images to double the number of pictures displayed on the screen- meaning you get total precision and visibly smoother pictures.

is nothing more that a description of interlaced vs progressive and is marketing BS , all flat panels do that , whats more important in the set in terms of moving picture quality is its capability to scale , Sonys are good in this respect , but that nonsense above has little or nothing to do with it, as I said , almost all major flat panels can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Could'nt agree more,Get yourself a 32s3000 and save yourself a nice 250 big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Usually I'd go for Sony, but you should check out Philips new Ambilight range! 32" 100Hz €1299, 37" €1999 Full HD and 100Hz
    Absolutely Class TVs!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Here's one I've been keeping my eye on: Philips 42PFL9632 - 42" 100Hz Widescreen 1080P Full HD LCD TV - With Ambilight & Freeview

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000VIFFWO/ref=dp_olp_1

About €2000 in ireland, about €1500 in the uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

mathias wrote: »
    Important reading lads ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker-free

and especially ,

And 100hz or whatever , has nothing to do with the refresh rate of an LCD ( usually listed in ms or milliseconds ) , thats an inherent part of the screen , and is not related to CRT scan line refresh rate ,

You getting technologies mixed up here , 100hz flicker free is mostly related to CRT's only , not flat panels.

This , from the ad link above ,

is nothing more that a description of interlaced vs progressive and is marketing BS , all flat panels do that , whats more important in the set in terms of moving picture quality is its capability to scale , Sonys are good in this respect , but that nonsense above has little or nothing to do with it, as I said , almost all major flat panels can do that.

Well, most flat panels are 50hz. and when the frames are deinterlaced, you get a frame rate of 25fps! (i.e. every second, 25 frames is produced). However, when it's 100hz, you get 50fps.
    So that translates as, one complete frame every 20 miliseconds, which is handy as 20 milliseconds is slow enough for the phosphors to fade to black before the next frame is sent to the screen.
    The blur on the standard 50 or 60 hertz sets is becaus the phosphors begin to fade which explains the loss of detailed picture on fast moving images.

Basically, a set with 100hertz leaves you with a much smoother image with less blur, as the phospers are "renewed" more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Peslo wrote: »
    Well, most flat panels are 50hz. and when the frames are deinterlaced, you get a frame rate of 25fps! (i.e. every second, 25 frames is produced). However, when it's 100hz, you get 50fps.
    So that translates as, one complete frame every 20 miliseconds, which is handy as 20 milliseconds is slow enough for the phosphors to fade to black before the next frame is sent to the screen.
    The blur on the standard 50 or 60 hertz sets is becaus the phosphors begin to fade which explains the loss of detailed picture on fast moving images.

Basically, a set with 100hertz leaves you with a much smoother image with less blur, as the phospers are "renewed" more frequently.

You seem to be confusing CRTs and LCD/Plasma here.

LCD screens do not have a hz rating of any sort. The video processing circuitry may or may not accept video signals of various hz, but the flat panel itself doesn't care. Once you turn on an LCD pixel it stays on indefinitely, it doesn't need to be refreshed.

The closest thing LCDs have is a response time in ms (usually the time to turn from black to white and back to black)

100hz on CRTs was originally a video buffer that allowed them draw the field twice (double the scan rate) - this produced a more 'solid' flicker free picture. I believe that some manufacturers (Philips?) experimented with additional video-processing logic which built an interpolated frame, but how much it improved the picture quality (over the basic 100hz double scan) I'm not sure.

LCDs/Plasmas DON'T need 100hz to reduce flicker - cos they don't have any :)

I believe that some of the stuff advertised as 100hz is the same interpolation tech applied to new flat panels. It's unlikely that the picture quality can be improved much by interpolating a new frame between 2 broadcast ones, for some very suitable types of moving images maybe, but in general the detail is in what's broadcast, you can't 'create' more detail from the broadcast stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As pH said , this 100hz thing has little to do with flat panels and advertising flat panels with this logo is misleading at best.

When a flat panel does advertise this , its always some kind of interpolation , and interpolation in any picture technology has always been proved to be a bad thing. It introduces artifacts , mostly seen as halos around moving objects , really , any set is better without it and you should aim for a set that doesnt need this to show a good picture , there are plenty of them out there.

In fact with a 1080p signal , the frames are 30 per second and a great deal of effort has been made to get some sets to lower this to 24 frames per second in other to get closer to a cinema picture , which is 24 fps , any set with a good scaler should show an excellent picture at this rate.

Heres a good link to read up on it ,

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/DigitalTVTutorial.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

anymore links

Advertisement