Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever smashed a USB key in a laptop by forgetting to remove them?

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have smashed several USB keys by forgetting to remove them from my laptop, If someone could develop a hinged USB key they would sell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You need one of these bad boys
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341707

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 acerwarranty

unless the hinge point was like 1 or 2mm away from the port it would have no use. The problem is it can weaken the internal port by smashing them constantly in it. But if a hinge was created that close to the chassis it would be very useful

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

73 quid for 4gb?!??!
    Haha, not a hope..
    Anyway...naa ive knocked off it a few times, havent smashed one yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just buy a USB extension cable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yep broken a couple that way. One of my friends broke his bluetooth dongle by putting it into his bag while it was still connected. He couldn't understand why the laptop wouldn't go in the bag properly so he gave it a nice shove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

garthv wrote: »
    73 quid for 4gb?!??!
    Haha, not a hope..
    Anyway...naa ive knocked off it a few times, havent smashed one yet though

I know its a crazy price but looks rugged as F*&%! (Probably not though...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Alun wrote: »

The best solution. My girlfriend uses her laptop in bed all the time and has broken loads of usb devices, including keys and several wifi adaptors! And then just goes out and casually buys a new one as if to say....'ah well'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Alun wrote: »
    I am not going to be carry an usb extension cable on my key fob! The principal behind pen drives is its convenience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I am not going to be carry an usb extension cable on my key fob! The principal behind pen drives is its convenience.

Then carry it around with your laptop.

Then carry it around with your laptop.
    I dont always carry around my laptop.

• Advertisement

I dont always carry around my laptop.

But the problem you are having is that you are breaking usb keys by forgetting to remove them from your laptop. If you carry a usb extension cable with your laptop the problem is solved.

But the problem you are having is that you are breaking usb keys by forgetting to remove them from your laptop. If you carry a usb extension cable with your laptop the problem is solved.
    Not necesarly, what about if I arrive at work and a laptop is presented to me or I am asked to carry out work on a customers pc?. :)

Not necesarly, what about if I arrive at work and a laptop is presented to me or I am asked to carry out work on a customers pc?. :)

True but you said my laptop in your opening post. You never said anything about anyone elses laptop. God, I love being pedantic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

God, I didn't think my suggestion would cause that much hassle!

Anyway, you can get really short USB cables for this purpose, only a few inches long, that'll fit easily in your pocket. See http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-aar04-16.html for example.

Advertisement