Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmigration

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Anyone got some sources I could work with to do with Emmigration from Ireland in the 60's, 70's and 80's?

Much appreciated.. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Census figures? Your being kinda vague, do you want to tell us what you are looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Sorry about that.
    I wanna get some insight into emmigration in the decades mentioned.
    Books, statistics, graphs etc.
    Mainly to do with Irish emmigration to England, however anything will do.
    Thanks a lot.

Hmm, I'm not sure that there's any specific texts written on this subject. You'd have to look both at Irish censii(?) and english ones, cause I doubt that the Irish one will register where people moved to. I know that during the Lemass years there there was a rise in the population for the first time in decades (centuries perhaps?) when there were actually some jobs going. apart from that I'm not much help, sorry. Are you in college? Are there any history lecturers or museum staff you could talk to?

It's an assignment I have to do in Folklore, the teacher is a bawbag and gave us a fake deadline, iam on my own :p
    Nvm, Ill use wikipedia.
    Thanks a lot mate

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

let me give you an actual fact from the 80's, when I was in my final year at uni we were given some career advice from our ecomomics lecturer!!, go left to the USA or head right across the channel to London, I turned right and spent 12 years in that there London place:rolleyes:, good days indeed!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, that will make up the body of my essay....

wtf does folklore have to do with emigration in the 60s and 70s???

Don't ask. Teacher = Nazi.
    When I suggested doing local ghost stories/myths she laughed it off as being stupid.

:S

Hey dude, good news, I was in the bookshop saturday and saw a book that will suit you, its by Enda delaney who's apparently written a few books on the emigration issue. It was more a pamphlet than a book but better than nothing I imagine. look him up on amazon to get an idea of what he's written.

Will do thanks a lot mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement