Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Dexter' May Slay on CBS

Options
  • 06-12-2007 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

With the writers strike beginning its second month, CBS may look to corporate sibling Showtime for an injection of original programming.

According to media reports, CBS Corp. President and CEO Les Moonves told reporters at the annual UBS Global Media & Communications Conference that "Dexter" is at least one candidate for a Showtime-to-CBS transplant.

"'Dexter' is probably the first one to go on -- with some edits," The Hollywood Reporter quotes Moonves as saying. "It fits with our crime shows."

Other candidates for network repurposing -- after edits for content and to fit with the time limitations of commercial broadcast -- might include the bodice-ripping drama "The Tudors" -- originally developed in a much tamer form for CBS -- and the 420-friendly comedy "Weeds."

Expectations for a repurposed Showtime transplant would also be hard to measure. The premium cable network did a minor celebration dance two weeks ago when the Nov. 18 episode of "Dexter" became the most-watched single airing ever for a Showtime series, drawing 1.23 million viewers. Those kinds of numbers wouldn't even keep a show afloat on fellow corporate sibling The CW. Of course, Showtime is only available in between 14 and 15 million homes, leaving vast expanses of audiences yet to meet Michael C. Hall's friendly neighborhood serial killer.

CBS and Showtime have had only limited back-and-forth in recent seasons. The cable network got solid ratings from a late-night live "Big Brother" feed this summer, while CBS aired an edited version of Showtime's "Brotherhood" two summers ago.

Relatively speaking, CBS is in less dire need of original programming than several other networks. Earlier this week, CBS announced a January and February programming revamp that includes fresh installments of "Big Brother" and "Survivor," new seasons of "Jericho" and "The New Adventures of Old Christine," plus the series premiere of the comedy "The Captain."

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-showtimetocbstransplantspossible,0,7418885.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

Don't know what to make of this,on the one hand it brings the show to a wider audience. On the other it could very well be ruined by the cuts that would need to be made for network television.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

God help us noooooooooo! It will kill the show

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For f*cks sake.. don't do it!

For the love of God!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You know if RTE ever show it, it'll be this version and people will think we were mental for going on about this "great" show for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ah I doubt RTE would show a cut version,that's if they even have the rights. Anyone know what Irish channel have the rights? I assume someone has considering it is in its 2nd season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I dont see how this would damage the show in any way? They will still create the series for showtime and it will be edited as such. If anything, it might serve as advertising for the uncut show and that can only be a good thing.

Can someone explain to me how this is bad? ;)

• Advertisement

Well I would think it would damage the image of the show. A CBS version would get much more viewers than the showtime version ever has and it would be a version that is watered down. Anything watered down is never as good as the original. For the violence in it,they would have to put it on at about 10pm,but they would still probably have to cut several of the bloody scenes.

Every single swear word would have to be removed,think of Doakes' motherfúcker lines in particular! Then of course any sex scene that would probably be cut as they are a lot more graphic on cable shows than on network shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Yep, but it would still be made uncut by Showtime and that's the version we'd be watching. CBS would essentially be showing watered-down repeats. Although if swearing is cut, Deb will be mute.

If RTE picked it up, they'd show the uncut version; in fairness, they're not that bad when it comes to censorship. Dexter seems like the kind of left-of-centre show that might find a home on late-night TG4, like Oz did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well at least they would be saved from seeing Lundi's ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This can only be a good thing. Some Americans will see it and say "Hey this ain't so bad, I must get the DVD's to see what it is really like".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

You know if RTE ever show it, it'll be this version and people will think we were mental for going on about this "great" show for so long.

Ive been saying that it was one of the best shows since episode 1 but cause of that ipswich killer it was never aired, didnt sky or rte actually buy the rights for season 1 but never used them?

i like dexter the way it is and they **** off if they are thinking of toning it down. Why wouldhave have to tone down the show if it was cbs? Just show it at the same time and give a content warning. Bollox to editing down my show

• Advertisement

FX have the rights for the UK. Whether or not the bought the Irish rights I don't know.

Do you not realise what television is like in the states? Warnings would not be enough. It is only being edited for CBS anyhow, not Showtime. USTV is the most watered down crap. You cannot swear or have naked people. Only the cable channels can show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The only US TV i ever watch would be US adds and the odd time once every month or two i would watch NBC eveening news at 12 or 1am GMT, thats great for a laugh. Especially the special inside Iraq story

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Some primetime shows on CW, CBS, NBC etc. are getting pretty gory these days.... Criminal Minds, Supernatural etc. I don't think Dexter is a huge leap in graphic violence.

Sex and language - now thats a whole other issue.

Plus they'd need to trim each episode by 10 minutes to incorporate ads.

Its happening, kids. Rumours that its a half hour long are greatly exaggerated.... maybe.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080107cbs01

Mr E wrote: »
    Its happening, kids. Rumours that its a half hour long are greatly exaggerated.... maybe.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080107cbs01
    I don't mind them showing re-runs to be honest.. it will get a wider audience who may seek it out the uncut episodes (in all their glory) on DVD.

But as long as Showtime has exclusive rights and continues to show the 3rd season and beyond, i'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

in fairness Heroes has it's fair share of graphic violence (heads sliced open brains removed anyone?) and thats primetime NBC

'Heroes' violence is more light-hearted and comic though to be honest.

Dexter's language and violence is definitely out there..

Violence is one thing, but won't CBS's viewers be wondering why Rudy is going out with Dexters mute sister? And why does that big black guy keep calling Dexter "Kemo Sabe"?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    Violence is one thing, but won't CBS's viewers be wondering why Rudy is going out with Dexters mute sister? And why does that big black guy keep calling Dexter "Kemo Sabe"?
    :D You're a funny guy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The guy that does the bleeps will be on over time as will the guy that inserts the black boxes to cover Lundis ass and Lilas tits. :D

• Advertisement

Dexter pulled in over 8 million viewers on CBS on Sunday. Not bad,nothing amazing by network tv standards,but it is more than Prison Break has been getting for example.

Compared to the record 1.4 million the 2nd season finale got on Showtime,this may help boost ratings for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 constipatinator

One of the highlights of it was this beauty of a quote:

Doakes: "I'm watching you motherlover!"

One of the highlights of it was this beauty of a quote:

Doakes: "I'm watching you motherlover!"
    Why did CBS even bother?

I would be tempted to get a copy to see how bad it actually is but then I think, what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UTV have it on tonight @22.35.

That isn't a CBS rehash though. That is an ad for Dexter on Showtime.

Advertisement