Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod (Touch) Questions

Options
  • 05-12-2007 7:01pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I just have a few questions.

1. Would I be right in saying that you need to use iTunes to transfer songs and videos with the iPod Touch?
    2. If I use iTunes, do I need to download songs or can I transfer mp3's that are already on my computer?
    3. Where is the best place to buy an iPod Touch? Dabs.ie seems to be the cheapest, but I remember a friend saying to me a while back (before I was interested in getting an iPod) that buying it off apple gives you a subscription to iTunes Store or something. Can some clarify this?
    4. I have a wireless LAN in the house, where there is one router, and all the other computers connect wirelessly to that router with one computer being connected directly by wire. We use it to go on the internet and to play games over the LAN sometimes. My question is will the iPod Touch pick this up and be able to go on the internet with it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1) Officially, yes.
    2) You could do either. You could but through the iTunes Store, or import your MP3 collection into the iTunes Library.
    4) Most likely, yes. Depending on the age of the router you may need a firmware upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

1) - Yes iTunes is a must but you can use mlipod with Winamp (it uses the SSH feature and is quick tricky to get set up and you need an internet connection, I woudn't advise this until the figure out a new version that is drag and drop like iTunes).

2) - You can download songs or use current songs on your computer, you can also burn CD's to iTunes in your desired format. If you scan your computer for songs, iTunes automatically encodes incompatible songs to MP3 (eg. WMA files from Windows Media Player)

3) - Dabs is good, so is Komplett but I'd advise eBay - the competition is huge there so you can grab a cheap Buy-It-Now one easily - with packaging for about €350 (the 16GB which I advised)

4) - Yes, all you have to do is turn on the Wi-Fi, select the network and then your online (that is of course unless you have a password which you will be prompted for when you select your network.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the help

I don't mind iTunes, it's just I wasn't sure whether I could use songs that I have rather than buying new ones online

I forgot the mention, I have an eircom broadband router. (a netopia cayman I think). It's around 2-3 years old. I'm not very good with technical terms etc but I found this on a wikipedia article (yes, I know wiki is not always right)
    Like its counterpart, the iPhone, the iPod touch does not support 802.1x authentication method, which is a common enterprise standard.

Does this affect me?

Advertisement