Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Tasting Courses

Options
  • 05-12-2007 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good beginners wine course. I have been looking around but most are a bit advanced for what I am looking for.

Any advice appreaciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I did a wine course a few years ago. The instructor was badly prepared, repetitive and gave us poorly photocopied handouts she took from a book.

But she also owned a wine shop and every week we got to try 6 pretty decent wines. It was worth it just for that.

So just make sure you are getting to taste a good selection of wines. The rest is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Marathon_Man

This lot run courses throughout the country.

http://www.wineboard.ie/courses/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Having done a few of the Wine Board courses, I highly recommend them. They do the WSET (Wine Spirit Education Trust) official courses, so you end up with a qualification of sorts, albeit basic - an added bonus compared to doing one in your local wine shop.

Alternatively you could check out a friendly little wine club I am involved in: Enothusiasts Wine Club, based in Dublin - it's completely non-profit making, just a bunch of enthusiasts tasting and discussing wines.

We run introductory tasting "crash courses" every once in a while, for anyone thinking of joining. Contact us through the website or here if you're interested - we will be running one again in January or February.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Hi there
    This may seem like a silly question - sorry! :o But I am wondering
    do you actually drink the wine at these tasting events or do you spit it out as you see on TV? Heading to wine tasting club soon and need to know with regard to driving. Many Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Up to yourself I'd imagine, you can do either.

I've looked into similar courses and am told you will try crap wine and corked wine so spitting may be preferred here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rud Annamh

Yes, up to yourself, but you will notice that all seasoned or practiced tasters will spit.

This is primarily so the wine does not affect your judgment if you taste a lot of wines, but I always spit because mixing up loads of different wines no matter how good or bad they are is not good on your stomach (the voice of experience).

Re driving, I've never been to a wine event where there were not spittoons available, and there are always a few spitters (at the very least, the teacher/presenter).

Enjoy!

Advertisement