Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for some, possibly many this weekend

Options
  • 05-12-2007 10:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Further to the Friday thread for Wintry showers the weekend itself will see temperatures remain in low single figures during daylight hours with troughs on an east-west axis moving across the country. It will feel bitter in a strong Easterly or Northerly wind. This is a situation that can and has brought more widespread snow in the past and needs to be watched as a potentially developing situation. I will post charts later but Saturday, Sunday and Monday look very good for Northern parts atm and higher ground in particular. Beyond that there is the potential - only speculation at this stage - for possibly an Easterly to develope but thats a long way out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The situation has developed a lot further than this time yesterday,though is still very marginal with the highest ground seeing snow now though more wintry in other places,where again it is marginal. Lets see if it again develops further.

It's certainly looking like a weekend that a trip to kippure (or croghan;)) could bear fruit!
    All could change though-keep model watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

What models are ye watchin for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like a rather insignifigant event to me, although the way things are looking re the rest of winter, it may well be good to have an extra hard look in those hail rain, sleety showers on Saturday :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Rtavn7217.png

Steep temperature differential means sleet possibly wet snow to low levels in the North.

• Advertisement

And a rather more pleasant naked run across Kippure for naturists going on that chart...compared to previous runs.
    It kind of shows the folly of looking beyond 4 or 5 days or one or two runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That warm/cold boundary could easily shift 100 miles north or south between now and then, one to keep an eye on for sure. Usually that means north to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

From MET.IE
    Friday will be a bright, but cold day with sunshine and occasional showers, some of the showers possibly wintry in places. Temperatures probably getting no higher than 5 to 9 degree in strong northwest winds. The winds will decrease and back westerly Friday evening and showers will die away. The early night will be cold with frost in places. Temperatures will rise later in freshening southerly winds. Rain will develop also, turning persistent and occasionally heavy. On Saturday the rain will give way to bright periods and showers. Winds by then fresh westerly keeping temperatures generally in single figures. Saturday evening and night could see showers becoming more widespread and frequent. A brighter day expected on Sunday with showers becoming more scattered, though they could turn wintry in places. It will feel quite cold in a strong northwest wind.

Note the highlighted text... interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

There was a bit of sleet/snow flakes in Navan this afternoon...

2qk4u wrote: »
    There was a bit of sleet/snow flakes in Navan this afternoon...

Must have been ash or something!

Aint near cold enough for snow, temperatures 9-10 countrywide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭arctictree

Interesting ECM chart issued at midday for Sunday:

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!96!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2007120512!!chart.gif

That scenario could produce snow on the east coast. Will be interesting to see how it develops. We'll know much better in the morning...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Must have been ash or something!

Aint near cold enough for snow, temperatures 9-10 countrywide.

Probably was...Allthough it felt cold enough in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There was just a hint of sleet in Dundrum this morning, but three rock was too clouded over to see what the hills were like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Is there a chance of snow in the East tonight as the front arrives? I see Met Eireann are mentioning it for the North.
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    Heavy rain and very strong southeast winds will spread eastwards overnight with possibly some sleet or wet snow on high ground in the north for a time.

trogdor wrote: »
    Is there a chance of snow in the East tonight as the front arrives? I see Met Eireann are mentioning it for the North.

Interesting you should mention this, i was just looking at some charts for tonight and temperatures of 1-3c with heavy precipitation at 6am...........

I doubt it, remember the lows last november? - I was -3.1°C here before the rain came. I expect the same will happen - temps will rise in advance of the front and only very high land - probably around 800meters + may see temporary snow.
    Jaysus I'd love to be wrong about that though ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ive a feelin it will be already mild before the precipitation even arrives and when it does we will all be in bed anyway, it will be mild by the time we wake up 2moro

Much to my suprise it did actually sleet here for a while this morning.
    The temperature dropped a couple of degrees with the arrival of the front amazingly and for about an hour or so there was very heavy wet snow and rain, massive big flakes splodging as they hit any surface :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Sleet was falling at 5am this morning out in Trim,Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭arctictree

What about later on tonight or early tomorrow as the LP passes under us. Could we have a sleet/snow spell then? Temp is down to 7.6c here from a high of 11.5 earlier.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Had heavy wet snow this morning coming through the blue stack mountains in donegal and through petiego.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Snow this morning on the mountains behind my house here in Donegal.

Advertisement