Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switches in attic running off socket

Options
  • 05-12-2007 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have recently layed a floor in my attic.
    to get to the point. I have two bulbs wired onto a plug up there going straight into a socket. I want to replace this plug in-out system with the plug permanently in. But, with a light switch. took one attempt at it and blew the fuse in the plug. Is it wise to try do this sort of thing?

You must understand the socket is located away from the hatch so i was thinking of putting the switch near the hatch.

Any other alternatives other than calling a sparks to run a wire all the way up just for two lights?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I would call a sparks if I were you. The best would be to use a lighting circuit. You will find these in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Is this socket you are using in the attic or are you running a lead down?
    If socket is in the attic, its fairly handy.
    Change the socket to a switched fused spur, 5A fuse.
    This will do away with the socket though so you may want to fit a spur beside socket.
    Switch off the MCB for said socket before working on it.
    DON'T attempt this unless you are confident, ie , can you wire a plug?
    If no socket in attic get a sparks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

socket in the attic. I forgot to mention. It is up there to power a water pump. At the moment i have a 4 way extension lead plugged in so i can power both lights (when needed) and the pump can be used. Could i just change the single socket for a double? (the socket which the 4 way is plugged into)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

But then you'd still be plugging in and out.
    Better to get a single box and spur for the light and mount them side by side.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

got ya. i'm looking through the phone book as i speak for a reputable sparks. in another post i mentioned a bad oven. somebody said this could be due to bad earthing. so i'm going to have all the house electricity checked. This could be a real hazard. i don't see myself as competitive enough to wire up a light switch and a new wire etc. best get things done professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you could try the find a contractor section at reci

http://www.reci.ie/findcontractor.php3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

u probably wired the switch wrong. a common mistake is to wire the live to one side of the switch and the neutral to the other side so u are switching yuor live to neutral and hence blowing fuses. u are supposed to wire the live into one side and then live to the light on the other pole of the switch so u are swithing live from the source on one side to the light on the other side of the circuit. the neutral is wired directly to the light and is not switched.

Advertisement