Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current flowing on face of oven.

Options
  • 05-12-2007 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi just a quick queiry. The other day i was cooking some food and felt a slight tingle. thought nothing of it until i touched the kitchen sink beside it. Got a small jolt but enough to identify a problem.

My mother had a friend wire the oven up and the dishwasher. We had a similar problem with the dishwasher that if you touched the inside a slight jolt again, but if you touched the sink youn felt it! I took it out and noticed the plug was cut and wired into some sort of box. The earth wire was loose so i figured this was the error. But. Noticed the insulation was melted where the wire was touching the dishwasher( not wire insul, the appliance).

Back on topic. Any way to identify the problem with the oven without pulling it out too and checking the wires?

I'm concerned it could short circuit and cause a fire

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've had a look at your recent posts in the forum congo. tbh, amoung other things, it looks like you have a bad earth. You'll need to get a sparks in to check it for you. You can also have hin/her take a look at the lights you want in your attic.

You might think about having the fuse board replaced with a newer consumer unit with MCB type circuit breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I would strongly advise getting an electrician in to check this out. As a loose connection on either the neutral or the live could cause a fire. The melted insulation would indicate this as this is a sure sign of arching. I would not even use either item until they are checked out. The reason for the tingle is that you have insulated with you shoes, you get the real bang when you touch the sink as it is grounded. (wakes you up! )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I've had a look at your recent posts in the forum congo. tbh, amoung other things, it looks like you have a bad earth. You'll need to get a sparks in to check it for you. You can also have hin/her take a look at the lights you want in your attic.

You might think about having the fuse board replaced with a newer consumer unit with MCB type circuit breakers.

The thing is this is a new house. Do you think we could send the bill to the Developers(with exception to attic lights). if it is found to be a bad earth? fuse board, everything in the house is new. i reckon it's an MCB (has the switches).
    I would strongly advise getting an electrician in to check this out. As a loose connection on either the neutral or the live could cause a fire. The melted insulation would indicate this as this is a sure sign of arching. I would not even use either item until they are checked out. The reason for the tingle is that you have insulated with you shoes, you get the real bang when you touch the sink as it is grounded. (wakes you up! )

I figured it was just the current melted the insulation from the wire sittin there. I was worried when i first looked at the dishwasher because it originally had a factory fitted plug. The wire seems intact until it connects into some sort of fiting in the back where i think a socket should be. The wires just run straight into this. Oh, i got that wake up call before! I fixed up the dishwasher to be best i could so it's not shocking anymore. The oven is my concern because it is 'built in' so to speak. So i can't even see whats going on in the back... i will post pics up in a moment showing the dishwasher condition. I think i need a sparks in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Definitely sounds like a bad earth.
    Developer won't want to know as you put appliances in yourself.
    Are they both new?
    There may be a problem with either or both.
    Time to get a sparks in congo. At least you can get this done with the attic job.

both appliances are new.

Still could a bad earth also be the problem for my other post about our bulbs and fuses blowing in lamps?

We got our boiler serviced recently as it was one year old. Turns out the wrong fuse was in that too...
    pics attached this is the back of the dishwasher.I'm not too worried about this because its working fine and is earthed. Just that oven is all i'm worried about. switched it on (cooking type on) and put a phase tester to it. there is current flowing definatly so i wasn't imagining things. i proved it by touching the sink (earthing myself) and it glowed brighter. Still, I will let the sparks take care of this. would rather pay somebody to do it professionally than have my mother get some eejit in and mess up the electrics/potential fire hazard.

• Advertisement

The burning looks like it was caused by the loose earth alright, but at least you sussed that yourself.
    ITs worth paying to get it done right, best of luck with it.

thanks, i will post up the outcome.
    hopefully there is nothing majorly wrong. I wonder what the condition of the oven is? bear in mind i copped onto the dishwasher problem over a year ago and forgot all about it after fixing its earth.

I have the right mind to ring this friend and tell him his wiring has caused problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

had a quick read over this and couldnt see any mention of the sink being cross bonded. it would be worth while getting that done along with all the other stuff if its not allready been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The burning looks like it was caused by the loose earth alright, but at least you sussed that yourself.
    ITs worth paying to get it done right, best of luck with it.

Just for my own interest, how does that occur? Surely there isn't a large amount of current in the chassis of a device which needs to drain to earth?

The cable wouldn't be making good contact, so arcing would occur.
    The sparks from this arcing could be enough to cause this to happen, even at a tiny fault current, over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ah ok, but even on the earth??
    Surely there is no current on earth with devices such as this, except when there is a fault?
    I know that smaller electronic devices can fail PAT tests because of the earth leakage currents, but I just didn't expect to see it on cookers...?

Advertisement