Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1911 census.

Options
  • 05-12-2007 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ventured over to http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ to browse their relatives on the 1911 census. I tried mine,I'm ashamed to say I don't at the moment know enough details about my greatgrand and grand parents to know for sure if I've got the right people. Very interesting even to have a browse and see who lived on your street or house bacK then. Unfortunatly mine wasn't even built:(
    If your an inner city dweller in an old street your on a winner although I see that the suberbs,including balbriggan are included. Personally, I'd be thrilled to actually see a document that a distant relative actually wrote on nearly 100 years ago,if only I knew their names.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's another thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54578487&posted=1#post54578487

It's a brilliant resource - though they could have fixed the search-by-street better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

luckat wrote: »
    It's a brilliant resource - though they could have fixed the search-by-street better.

Could you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is it only for Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Dublin is the first county to be put online - the National Archive's staffing and resources are limited, so they're taking a while to do it.

The search: well, say you want to find 12 Upper Rathmines Road, you can't search for that and find only that. You'll find the whole of Upper Rathmines Road (or even the whole of Rathmines Road), and have to go through pages and pages and pages and pages and pages before you get to the one you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Can't wait for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

They are digitising both the 1911 and 1901 censuses for the whole country and will put them on line gradually. So far, only the results for the 1911 Census in Dublin are searchable. This link shows you the schedule they are working to.

If, however, you have ancestors from Clare, then the awfully nice people at the Clare County Library have already digitised the 1901 census returns that pertain to that county. They have an excellent searchable index, accessible here of the Clare population in 1901.

Love the National Archives site. Well done lads. Now get the rest of it up as quick as you can!!!

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'm disappointed that it doesnet give the street number as i would like to know who lived in our house in 1911 - its a really interesting resource though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It does mrs Mc, if you put the street name and ded in it will give a result,then click on any of the names listed on the street,the next page will have the street name highlight at the top of the page,it will give all the houses on the street and who lived in them. bare in mind if the house was shared it will list that house as ie,1, 1.1 1.2 1.3 etc. the amount of people packed into some of them must have been a torment.

Mighty stuff, our house is nearly in the same condition as it was in 1911 with the exception that it has electricity! I'm off now to find more info - thanks a mill! :)

Cant believe our house was divided into flats even back in 1911 (we never go around to taking down the partitions). 10 people lived in our house, made up of 4 families. Went through the whole street and most of the residents had C of I surnames. The demographic also looked interesting in a few of them - about 6 of the houses appeared to have widowers and their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

What a fantastic resource - thanks boardsies - I never would have found it without you!

Things that have really struck me are the levels of literacy (or lack thereof) / unemployment levels, especially of skilled trades people (carpenters & bricklayers) in a city that had tenanments which were falling down and the levels of infant mortality - highest in the British Empire at the time.

I managed to find my great grandparents on both parents sides and my other half's great great grandparents. Facinating reading - can't wait for 1902 & the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Facinating reading - can't wait for 1902 & the rest of the country.

Interesting to see if they do put up all of the country or only the 26 counties, retrospectively applying partition as the Ordnance Survey did.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cant believe our house was divided into flats even back in 1911 (we never go around to taking down the partitions). 10 people lived in our house, made up of 4 families. Went through the whole street and most of the residents had C of I surnames. The demographic also looked interesting in a few of them - about 6 of the houses appeared to have widowers and their children.

Results are interesting. I was searching (cant find it again, cant remeber what I was looking at ta the time) and a house had a widow, 3 or 4 kids and a middle aged man with a different surname (similar age to the widow). Contoversial for 1911 I would have thought. He was listed as a widower.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Results are interesting. I was searching (cant find it again, cant remeber what I was looking at ta the time) and a house had a widow, 3 or 4 kids and a middle aged man with a different surname (similar age to the widow). Contoversial for 1911 I would have thought. He was listed as a widower.
    I would guess He was more than likely a lodger,quite common at the time when an extra shilling or two made a big difference.Infact that widow was probably quite well off,when you think that some tenaments had a population of 70 people.

On a couple of roads I've looked up,mainly clonliffe and withworth, the numbering is incomplete. Withworth only goes up to i think 49,where the numbering today goes a lot higher and I'm nearly sure all of that road was bulit around 1880.I wonder is it just lost files or was half of it called something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

I dont know what all the fuss is about. The 1901 & 1911 census have been available in libraries for yesrs now on microfilm. Only takes a few minutes to find your ancestors if you know where they lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Tableman, how does one go about checking the microfilm out?

Or anyone for that matter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're in Dublin - go upstairs in Pearse Street library. In other counties, I would expect the 'main' library - though it's possible you may need to ring them in advance to tell them what yuu want to look at, depending on their storage arrangements.

Re: Pearse st

And how does that work then, would I be looking at it on a computer screen? Can I look at anything else I want (i.e., newspaper clippings etc)?

Re: Pearse st

And how does that work then, would I be looking at it on a computer screen? Can I look at anything else I want (i.e., newspaper clippings etc)?

If you are in Dublin, you can visit the national library. They have pretty much everything;

http://www.nli.ie/en/intro/what-we-have.aspx

I have done research there many times. Its all free etc. & the staff are very friendly etc

• Advertisement

Tableman, how complete are the records in the nationl library. If I just knew the names and address in say 1911 of my greatgrand parents,would it be possible to trace the family back further. Even as I'm typing I'm thinking probably not. What type of records do they keep there?

dubtom wrote: »
    Tableman, how complete are the records in the nationl library. If I just knew the names and address in say 1911 of my greatgrand parents,would it be possible to trace the family back further. Even as I'm typing I'm thinking probably not. What type of records do they keep there?

There is the 1901 census. Other than that, there are very few census records available.

However, the national library also contain parish records which contain baptism,marriage & death records. These vary from parish to parish. Some go back to early 1800s, others only begin in late 1800's. All depends on the parish priest of the time, whether he believed in keeping records.

For most irish people, its not possible to trace back before the the mid 1800's

Advertisement