Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fleeced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Would there be much of a difference? For a good fleece it should be warm, well insulated and waterproof. Not all fleeces are windproof and while it may appear warm you will know soon enough how cold it can be in any stiff winter breeze.

So as long as it's windproof, it should be just a matter of which feels the comfiest on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Sorry - in my last post I meant windproof, not water proof!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

@avalanche - Im with dogmatrix on this one it being windproof is the most important thing. A bog standard fleece isnt windproof (be it a fleece from a camping shop or a fleece jumper from Dunnes/Pennys) the fleece fibers are loosely woven to be fluffy and hold more air thus giving greater insulation. But if its a windy day you might as well not be wearing it in a strong wind as it will cut right through it and you will feel it :-)

One that is windproof is women much tigher so you will get the outside with a nice smooth finish and the inside with the nice fluffy insulating finish plus the windproof ones have the added advantage making the fleece water repelant.

The ratings are related to the thickness of the fleece with 300 being the thickest and most flexible, if you in a shop find the lowest rating you can and compare it to the highest rated one you can and you'll feel the difference. As dogmatrix said its all about comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

PDD wrote: »

One that is windproof is women much tigher so you will get the outside with a nice smooth finish and the inside with the nice fluffy insulating finish ...

Rofl. Freudian slip PDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Regarding the fleece having to be windproof, depends on what else you are wearing.
    If you using the fleece as your one external layer, then like the guys said, pay a bit more and get something fairly windproof, especially with the weather we've been having recently!
    If you are planning on wearing another layer (rain jacket, day to day outdoors coat) outside it, you should probably get a big lofty fleece that just retains the heat, and let the outer shell layer stop the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I'd just go for the windproof fleece straight away if you can afford it. Much more versatile, windproof, waterproof to a certain degree (mine can certainly manage a typical 'soft day' no problem) and you can wear it under a proper waterproof layer as well if necessary. I have a Berghaus windproof fleece that I've had for absolutely ages, and unless it's absolutely lashing it down, it's often the only outer layer I have on.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

hi,thanks very much for the advice. i had a look a the columbia one and it looked a bit cheap to be honest, cheap with an expensive pricetag that is.figure im going to pick this one up http://www.decathlon.es/ES/polar-sibir-300-morral-23283279/ it has the weight and is comfy enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Where are you buying from - do decathlon ship to ireland? They have a lot of cheap gear, some of it's very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

hi, im actually in spain at the moment but as far as i know there is a store in england which might ship alright. there stuff does seem to be good value for money alright.

Advertisement