Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sign on.. or straight to bank account

Options
  • 04-12-2007 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi there.

I have just applied for the job seekers benefit, and its the first time that I have applied for the 'dole'. I don't plan on being on the dole for very long, as I have already done interviews etc.

I'm just wondering if the soc. welfare office can put the payment directly into my bank account rather than me coming into the office every week. My home address is in the midlands, and so is the office, but my interviews etc are all based in south Munster, so travelling up and back, and saying I can't do interviews on 'tuesdays' really isn't going to work.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yes, they can put your payment into a personal bank/building society account.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

thanks a mill. do you have to kick up on them to do it, or should they just do it automatically when you ask. cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

kulekat wrote: »
    thanks a mill. do you have to kick up on them to do it, or should they just do it automatically when you ask. cheers..

You don't have to go into the office each week. You sign on once a month in the the social welfare office and then either collect your money each week in the post office or get it paid into your bank account each week.

I've found they normally try and get you to collect it from your local post office (as social welfare payments are the main thing keeping a lot of post offices open) rather than offering the paying into you bank route but if you ask for it they can't really say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Friend of mine was told very recently that he would have to collect payments from local P.O.- this was after filling out his bank acc. details on the form. When he questioned this he was told he had no choice in the matter!! Can he apply again to have it paid to his bank?
    If he has to continue to go to the P.O. can he collect payment on any day of the week, or does he have to go on Friday. (Que for about 20 Mins)

• Advertisement

Depends on what type of Social Welfare payment he's on.
    Most can be paid into a bank account - it might take a few weeks for his payment location to change. Check again with your local office - ask to speak with a supervisor.
    He should be able to collect his post office payment up to six day (including a Saturday).

Nolanger wrote: »
    Most can be paid into a bank account - it might take a few weeks for his payment location to change. Check again with your local office - ask to speak with a supervisor.
    He should be able to collect his post office payment up to six day (including a Saturday).

Thanks for that info Nolanger. I will tell him to have another try at getting it paid into his Bank Acc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If he's on a jobseeker's payment it usually dosen't last 6 days in the post office. I'd advise you to collect it with in 3 days to avoid it 'expiring'. If it expires you will have to ask to have it reissued which can be bothersome.

If he's on a jobseeker's payment it usually dosen't last 6 days in the post office. I'd advise you to collect it with in 3 days to avoid it 'expiring'. If it expires you will have to ask to have it reissued which can be bothersome.

Thanks for that Mrs MacGyver
    Ya I think its Jobseekers Benefit - he just recently signed on. Can you clarify if he can get the payments paid to bank?

Thanks AleoN

No need to visit an office - he can apply online:
    https://www.welfare.ie/secure/eft.html

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Nolanger. Will tell him to try that.

AleoN

You will have to make a claim for Jobseeker's payments in person, this is only to notify the dole office that you are actually unemployed, its not an actual claim application - it says it at the bottom before you send it.

You will have to make a claim for Jobseeker's payments in person, this is only to notify the dole office that you are actually unemployed, its not an actual claim application - it says it at the bottom before you send it.

Mrs MacGyver
    He is already receiving J.B. paid out by the P.O. every Fri. What he wants to do is get it paid directly into his Bank Acc.
    I think this is the correct form. Can you please clarify?
    Thanks in advance
    AleoN

Sorry Aleon, my head was a bit muddled yesterday. I've never seen this on the welfare webiste before but i'll make a few enquiries and i'll post back here. I don't know if it's still active since the titles for unemployment payments changed in Sep 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 XAND

Hi all,

(I might as well resurrect this related thread)

I've had to start on the Jobseekers Allowance at the moment too and I was wondering about this online form mentioned for changing to direct bank payment. Is it just a simple matter of submitting the form and the payment will be switched over?
    [ https://www.welfare.ie/secure/eft.html ]

Also, does anyone know the exact label put on the lodgement (which would appear on your statement)?
    Maybe it's a bit coy of me, but I'd strongly rather it was some anonymous numbers rather than an embarassing announcement of my unemployment to bank staff dealing with my account (or, indeed, if using a statement for ID purposes somewhere).

Thanks for any advice.

XAND.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

XAND wrote: »
    Hi all,

(I might as well resurrect this related thread)

I've had to start on the Jobseekers Allowance at the moment too and I was wondering about this online form mentioned for changing to direct bank payment. Is it just a simple matter of submitting the form and the payment will be switched over?
    [ https://www.welfare.ie/secure/eft.html ]

You are definitely entitled to have it put into your bank account if you want to. It looks from that online form that that's sufficient. Best thing to do is send it online, then contact your local social welfare office after a day or two just to make sure it's all fine.
    Also, does anyone know the exact label put on the lodgement (which would appear on your statement)?
    Maybe it's a bit coy of me, but I'd strongly rather it was some anonymous numbers rather than an embarassing announcement of my unemployment to bank staff dealing with my account (or, indeed, if using a statement for ID purposes somewhere).

It will say DSW-XXX (dsw for department social welfare followed by a code depending on which type of payment you're getting)

So yes, the person in the bank will know you're on a social welfare payment. Are you really that bothered? Who gives a sh1t about the bank staff, I assure you they couldn't care less once you're not defaulting on loans or something. As for using it for identification, just don't if it bothers you, use a bill instead.

The only alternative is Post Office which is a bit of a nuisance as you've to go in there to collect it. Remember the average bank worker is looking at hundreds of different accounts and is not going to be paying that much attention to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You are definitely entitled to have it put into your bank account if you want to. It looks from that online form that that's sufficient. Best thing to do is send it online, then contact your local social welfare office after a day or two just to make sure it's all fine.

Not quite.

Part of the Dublin region has stopped putting money money into bank accounts for Unemployment benefit/Assistance and One Parent Familys on all new claims. (This started last summer)

It was north dublin it started in but i dont know if any other regions have followed suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not quite.

Part of the Dublin region has stopped putting money money into bank accounts for Unemployment benefit/Assistance and One Parent Familys on all new claims. (This started last summer)

It was north dublin it started in but i dont know if any other regions have followed suit.

Why was this?
    Another poster mentioned using the local post office which I can understand as it's important to give them business in rural areas where they are at risk of closure.

But why in North Dublin? Surely making an electronic payment would cut administration. Or is this something to do with fraud in the North Dublin region.
    Sorry if this is offtopic, I'm just interested to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

micmclo wrote: »
    Why was this?
    Another poster mentioned using the local post office which I can understand as it's important to give them business in rural areas where they are at risk of closure.

But why in North Dublin? Surely making an electronic payment would cut administration. Or is this something to do with fraud in the North Dublin region.
    Sorry if this is offtopic, I'm just interested to know

It was Redional Directors Office for Dublin that made the decision, I'd presume it is to do with fraud.

Edit: It was actually a local management decision!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement