Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone you know here?

Options
  • 04-12-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

The 1911 census for Dublin is online :)

These are the results for "Lucan"

I see Charles Colthurst-Vesey listed as living in Lucan Demense :) I also recognise some Lucan names such as Dignam and of course the Shackeltons of Shackelton's Mills!:) If you look at the atached PDF you can see he lists his occupation as "Flour Miller"...not too many of those these days, they are probably flour processing technicians or engineers or something :)
    Interestingly and sadly, if you look at the Lanigan family you will see that they had 8 children born alive, only 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. Again, interesting job titles!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Unfortunately my family aren't a traditional Lucan family living here for years and years etc, they come from the border counties so meh, I don't know many.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well with the way population migration has increased I don't see many areas of Dublin having 'local names' associated with them in the future.

I do know one family living in Hillcrest who are now third generation Lucan, originally living in Sarsfield Park so maybe that's a new Lucan dynasty in the making :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I saw this website - a fantastic resource. Any idea if they are expanding it to cover the rest of the country?

I think the plan is to eventually have every census online but I'm not sure how long it will take to get the entire 1911 one online. It's pretty cool and would be very interesting for small rural towns and villages in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nope too far back, another 40 or so years and I'd know a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well with the way population migration has increased I don't see many areas of Dublin having 'local names' associated with them in the future.

I do know one family living in Hillcrest who are now third generation Lucan, originally living in Sarsfield Park so maybe that's a new Lucan dynasty in the making :D
    Can beat that, fifth generation Lucan here. (That I can prove)
    My great great grandfather is on the 1911 census. I'd like to go back further to see where it ends. You have me wondering about hilcrest now, theres probably a few third generation about.

Good stuff Mellor :D There's certainly lots of 2nd Generation Lucan who have bought houses in Lucan so maybe it's doing okay :D Shows Lucan is still a good place to live!

I'm interested to see how far back it goes, in 1911, G.G.Grandfather was in his 60s, but apparently the only other census was 1901. So its unlikely if i'll ever know if im 5th or more, shame really.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm interested to see how far back it goes, in 1911, G.G.Grandfather was in his 60s, but apparently the only other census was 1901. So its unlikely if i'll ever know if im 5th or more, shame really.

Well the census isn't the only way to do this but it gets a lot harder without it :) If you were interested then there are genealogical societies out there that can help alright but it's a lot of work...or you could pay a professional to do the work for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Hi all I'm second generation living in Lucan and wern't lanigans the original owners of the now depressing Foxhunter Pub? or was that langans? Ah yes I remember Ma Langan as she would scrape the cigarette ash off your pint before she gave it to you!!:D

By the way, does anyone have Photos of some of the old Lucan that I could get copied? Mainly looking for:
    The Tea room that use to stand at what is now the acces to Larighcon and also the Blacksmith shop just before the turn at Tinkers hill? and also the C.O.I. rectory which is now the estste called Old Rectory.
    Thanks, Mildews.

• Advertisement

The foxhunter probablt had a few names, they are all still used as names of various bars i think.
    As for photos, local historian Mary Muhall has numourous photos of all parts of lucan in her books (3 at this stage I think)

Mellor wrote: »
    The foxhunter probablt had a few names, they are all still used as names of various bars i think.
    As for photos, local historian Mary Muhall has numourous photos of all parts of lucan in her books (3 at this stage I think)

Indeed, myself and my parents have actively funded Mary's retirement. I'm sure that she will soon be buying a villa or her own private island from the profits. :D:D The books are great and I'd recommend them to anyone living in Lucan or to anyone who just wants to know a bit more about the history of the town. You can be sure that Mary will already know a huge number of the names in the 1911 census.

Advertisement