Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web-based database

Options
  • 04-12-2007 12:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where I work we have a shared network folder which everyone uses to store docs, technical docs, client proposals,...

This was ok when there were just 5 of us in the Cisco dept but now there are about 35 of us and it's getting a lot harder to find the right information when you need it. Everyone has their own way of writing manuals and their own filing system which isn't always the most logical to use/understand.

So the aim is to create a new referencing system and a web interface to access a database of technical docs. The web interface can be anything I want really and the database will probably be mysql (I've no budget for MSSQL).

So before I go searching, what cheap/free options are there out there that wouldn't require too much coding. Time isn't a problem but my web/html skills are very 1990's :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I think you would be relatively safe with a customised CMS, look at Joomla!

Disclaimer: the ! is actually part of the copyright name, Im not parTICularily excited about it, as, lets face it, its just a piece of software, and not a 92nd minute Ronaldo screamer against Sporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Not sure if I'd use something like Joomla for this.

I'd be more prone to going with something like a wiki. (but you will find people adding stuff in their own way and it growing a bit out of control)
    Dokuwiki actually springs to mind but then as I said you'll have the hastle of people having to learn how to use it to a certain degree.

This might be a good place to review and compare systems
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/

eGroupWare could be nice
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=354

I've played with it in the past and it had a nice clean interface and was pretty easy to use.

Knowledge base ... file manager

Again ... from that site you can play with the demos before committing to actually downloading anything :)

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭FindingNemo

forbairt wrote: »
    Not sure if I'd use something like Joomla for this.

I'd be more prone to going with something like a wiki. (but you will find people adding stuff in their own way and it growing a bit out of control)
    Dokuwiki actually springs to mind but then as I said you'll have the hastle of people having to learn how to use it to a certain degree.

This might be a good place to review and compare systems
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/

eGroupWare could be nice
    http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=354

I've played with it in the past and it had a nice clean interface and was pretty easy to use.

Knowledge base ... file manager

Again ... from that site you can play with the demos before committing to actually downloading anything :)

Enjoy

how about sql server 2005 express edition ? it's free. use visual web developer then for the front end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

no matter what way you go you need to have a standard document/template that everyone uses to enter reference/technical infomation in the same format

you should also have a change management system so you can see prior versions of the documents and who changed what

I'm sure you will get user/people moaning about this but

after all this is work not a play ground and the company makes the rules

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

sounds like what you need is a web based document management app like
    Alfresco - http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Main_Page
    I hear good things about it

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A good DMS will also integrate with openoffice/msoffice document properties - but you'll still have to bully people to actually use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ponster wrote: »
    So the aim is to create a new referencing system and a web interface to access a database of technical docs. The web interface can be anything I want really and the database will probably be mysql (I've no budget for MSSQL).
    Shame you have no budget. Basically that's management telling you that your technical documents are worthless to the profit of the company?

I'm not normally a big Microsoft fan, but Team Foundation Server sounds exactly like what you need. It will also let you run version control and proper check in/out of technical docs.

If I were you, I'd put a business case to those above to get a proper document management/change control system in place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I forgot to say alfresco is open source so it's free .. if you are willing to put your own time into learning it. Support is optional but would cost but I believe they have a good active community so you might get some help there if money is an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Assuming you have a Windows 2003 server at your disposal, Windows Sharepoint Services would be ideal, and free. It will let you quickly and easily create a site(s), no coding. You can add as many document libraries, with or without folders, to store your documents as you need. It integrates with office so people can directly open documents from sharepoint, save documents back to it, create new docs etc. Well worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Sharepoint Services is indeed free, but SharePoint Server 2007 or MOSS 2007 is not.

Comparison here

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/FX101758691033.aspx

Certain functionality that you may require may not be availible in WSS...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

In reply to DublinWriter and stevenmu...

My company is made up of a LOT of divisions in a LOT of countries and it's often difficult to get people to agree on anything. As of Nov 1 this year we all have access to SharePoint Server 2007 (the pay version) but it hasn't been validated by those who need to validate it yet and that could take up to another 8 months.

My (new) boss can't wait that long so needs something NOW so I suppose I could maybe look into the free version of Sharepoint and then maybe when the full version is available I can migrate.

Advertisement