Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request : leatherman or gerber tools

Options
  • 04-12-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend online or Irish based retailers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I can't recall where my dad bought his leathermans but I know from passing the shop off... Dame St? they do them in there. Do you know when you walk from the bottom of Grafton street towards Trinity? and you pass specsavers/spar/ that awful smelling soap shop, then there's a cigar place on the corner? they do them in there if I remember right...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

You can get them in that cigar store, or any camping supply store such as around Mary Street/Capel Street, Great Outdoors in Chatham Street, or that place in Liffey Street.

I have both Leatherman Charge XTI and Gerber Legend (800?). Both are very good. Both are pretty much the top end for both companies, and you would expect to pay €150.00 in store in Dublin. I think in UK the price is similar, but in US you would expect to pay $125.00 (or $100.00 online on some sites). The cost of delivery (about $20.00) to Ireland and possibility of getting stung for VAT and Duty is the problem (along with waiting and threat of being lost in the post).

The Gerber has springloaded jaws and a very nice pliers, which is comfortable to hold, and you can access all the tools without having to open the tool. However, the knife blade is not as good as the Leatherman, and the tool not quite as neat as the Leatherman.

The Leatherman is a bit smaller and you can access the blades, saw and file without having to open the tool. You have to open the tool for the screwdrivers etc.

If you could examine both in store that would probably be best. Sorry if I went on a little bit:). Good luck.

Smokey

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are a few ebay shops that sell leatherman , they work out a lot cheaper then buying them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

I bought two on ebay before 2nd hand , they seem to have been taken at airports and then resold,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have bought several new on Ebay over the years. Any powerseller should be fine - and you'll save plenty on the shop prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

validis_ wrote: »
    I bought two on ebay before 2nd hand , they seem to have been taken at airports and then resold,

how'd u figure that out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I bought the new Leatherman Wave in Wallmart in 2005 for about $50, the blades eventually dulled, brought it into the lads just off Dame St. and they sent it off for replacement. Very good all round tool.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Saw this place mentioned in the paper on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

star-pants wrote: »
    I can't recall where my dad bought his leathermans but I know from passing the shop off... Dame St? they do them in there. Do you know when you walk from the bottom of Grafton street towards Trinity? and you pass specsavers/spar/ that awful smelling soap shop, then there's a cigar place on the corner? they do them in there if I remember right...

Peterson's on Grafton Street is the shop you are referring to. It's beside Thomas Cook if you are coming from College Green. They have a great selection of Leatherman tools and knives as well as the LED Lenser range of torches, which beat Maglites hands down.

http://www.peterson.ie/corp_cat1jsp_level_Leatherman.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

giftmaster.ie is where i picked up my most recent one,
    they were doing 15% of last week may still be

• Advertisement
Advertisement