Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wana change GP,what should i do?

Options
  • 03-12-2007 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey my GP is a guy and i haven't been to him since ages ago,my dad knows him.I have some problems with my periods and i'd be more comfortable to see a female doctor. I heard that there's a female on duty on one evening each week in his place, does anyone know about it or could recommend me any other good female doctors in town? my GP is Dr. Brendan Doyle.
    I googled on Female doctors in Carlow and found Dr. Helan Delaney.Any one heard of her?
    And how can i change my GP? Some site says i need to call them and see are they still available for more patients and that i need a medical cert? what's a medical cert and if i really need it how can i get it?
    Thanks guys!

P.S. i prob post this in the wrong section but i figure that carlow ppl would know more about carlow doctors...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

from a male perpesctive, I know that theres 2 female doctors in Dr Parmeter's surgery at Clayton hall. I was with another doctor before going to Paremeter's and I just rang them and asked could i get an appointment , they said no problem was I an existing customer, I told them I wasn't and they had no problems taking me on. the number for there is 0599133330, give them a call and see.

My girlfriend has gown to Dr parmeter a few times with female problems and has always found him to be very good, non intrusive etc. but as I said there are 2 female doctors in that practice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Dr. H Delaney (works in Dr. Moran's Tullow St) is a very good recommendation. I would also personally recommend Dr. S Kehoe in the same practice. Good appointment system in operation in this practice, ie if you have an appointment you will generally be seen at the appointed time, if you are being fitted in your gonna wait.

Drop into practice, say that you are a private patient (if that is the case) and Dr D or Dr K was recommended to you. I’m not sure how the medical card scheme works but there may be a waiting list to get in on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Im a patient of Dr Delaney. All I can say is that she is possibly the best doctor I have ever seen. She is very friendly and puts you at ease straight away. I used to go to Dr Moran but he is always busy so I changed and now would not go to see anyone else. However one thing i will say is that this practise is extremly busy and I think they have stopped taking new patients. I suppose you could ring them 059 9130770 to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

hi guys. Thanks a mil for the replies. i wana try Dr Delaney.

and just one thing in general. Can you go see other doctors other than your own GP?? or you HAVE to make them your GP first?

@davidoco -if i say i'm a private patient,does that help me going in?...don't really understand what does Private Patient mean.sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

-if i say i'm a private patient,does that help me going in?...don't really understand what does Private Patient mean.sorry.

Nearly every doctors surgery has private patients who pay per visit (€55) and GMS medical card patients for whom the surgery get a flat payment per year of approximately €500 (open to correction on that). When a visit is free, when on medical card, you would be more likely to use the service, so I imagine that a surgery would have far more private patients than medical card ones.

Out of interest in 2004 fees and allowances paid to Doctors totalled €317 millon euro under the GMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Dr Delaney charges €50 as a private patient. €50 is what most surgeries charge. Im not sure if youll be able to get in to see her as they are always busy but give them a go on the number above.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Just after talking to a friend this evening and I am sure that she said that Dr. Delaney is on maternity leave at the moment.

You have to contact your own doctor in writing stating that you are moving medical practice and to whom you are moving to so that they can transfer your medical records to the new practice. You do not have to give a reason but it is nice to do it. So make sure that you are 'signed' up with another practice first.

Some Dr's here in Carlow are not taking on new patients but I have had no problems here. Saying that I have been here for the last 9 years and only needed a doctor this year. I attended Dr. O' Toole on the Staplestown Road. I found her very good. She has a very holistic approach to medicine which I like. Her locum I have a little less faith in but he got the job done.

Remember though that the Doctors male and female have no doubt heard/seen it all before and if they haven't I'm sure that they have studied it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

WTF??????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Deformity remarks removed. Please remember that what you post, can land Boards.ie (and possibly even yourself) in legal waters for defamation of character.

Advertisement