Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop, coolness, Apple Macbook maybe- for a novice user

Options
  • 02-12-2007 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I don't want this to turn into a Windows/Dell versus Apple thread, I'd just like to know about day to day use and possible issues for a novice using the machine at home and in college.

I'm about to purchase a laptop for a family member, will be for word-processing, surfing, music but also of course the cool factor comes into play, she's a student.

I first looked at Dell, I have 2 dells myself and found them grand but I see they have a delivery problem, I'll call them tomorrow to find out first but I'm also thinkin about the Apples, something like the "Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 2 GHz".
    But I have no experience with them, I do know their cool:rolleyes: and good for graphics but what about day to day use and is there an issue with compatibility with windows machines, I presume she will be transferring word processor files to college windows machines, could that be an issue for a novice user? I see Apple have some offer on windows on Apples!! anyone?

I'm aware theirs probably a 400-500euro difference in price for the basic models but I have a feeling people who own Macs love them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Macbook is perfect for college. Easily the lightest and most portable laptop around. Also very user friendly and the learning curve from moving from windows to mac isnt long at all. After about 2 days you'll have the hang of it and pick up the rest along the way. They are generally easier to use AND can do anything a PC can do also so there shouldn't be an issue there. They can now run windows natively BUT dont buy one if you think she'll only use windows on it as it defeats the purpose and see a lot of people doing this. Microsoft office is available for Mac and there will also be a much awaited update to 2008 in January. Go into any of the 02 experience stores and try them for yourself. If you do buy don't buy in store buy online at the apple education store(link on the side at the apple IRL store).

If you do go the route of PC don't buy a dell! Go for hp. Dell laptops are NOT portable in the slightest bit and everyone I know who carries them to college can't wait to see the back of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

su_dios wrote: »
    Macbook is perfect for college. Easily the lightest and most portable laptop around. ...

Its a 13" laptop. I'd have thought a 12, 11 or 10" laptop would be smaller or more portable.
    Dell laptops are NOT portable in the slightest bit...

Really how about this one?
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3101&review=Dell+Latitude+D420

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you do go the route of PC don't buy a dell! Go for hp. Dell laptops are NOT portable in the slightest bit and everyone I know who carries them to college can't wait to see the back of them!

That has to be some of the most uninformed nonsense I have read on this forum.

Have you seen many Dells?

Thats a fairly portable Dell alright but looks dated as hell! Can you buy that in Ireland at the moment? Also look at the price of it! Dells also seem to give the most trouble from experience. I'm surrounded by people with dells which have died in under 2years. Yeah ok you're right a 10" would be more portable but also terrible to use with a screen that size. The widescreen on the macbook is really efficient. Most vendors sell 15's. Bigger screen isn't always needed.

tom dunne wrote: »
    That has to be some of the most uninformed nonsense I have read on this forum.

Have you seen many Dells?

I'm surrounded by 55laptops on a daily basis. About 2/3 of them are Dell. Each one of them complains about how heavy they are.

Uninformed you say?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thats a fairly portable Dell alright but looks dated as hell! Can you buy that in Ireland at the moment? Also look at the price of it! Dells also seem to give the most trouble from experience. I'm surrounded by people with dells which have died in under 2years. Yeah ok you're right a 10" would be more portable but also terrible to use with a screen that size. The widescreen on the macbook is really efficient. Most vendors sell 15's. Bigger screen isn't always needed.

You can get an xps m1330. It would be just as portable as a macbook. They look pretty nice as well.

I've got a 4 year old dell desktop and so does my brother, never had any hardware troubles with either of them yet.

Also most laptops today are widescreen nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Thanks for the advice, as I said in the original post I don't want this thread to be a dell vs apple thread and as I said Dell isn't really an option right now due to the availability issues.

Microsoft Office on Mac, has anyone used this? I bet it costs a packet, I'd prefer not to purchase software for the apple, the price of the machine is pushing it as it is.

Majority of people on Macs use Microsoft office. Works great. Student options isn't too expensive. OpenOffice is free however and will do the job.

Granted the desktops are grand. We're on our 3rd at home and they haven't given trouble. My dad's dell laptop is another story though. Just personal experience with them. HPs are nicer machines and readily available from the likes of pc world and dixons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You could always go with Open Office, which is a free alternative...

The problem i would have with apples are their price, they are quite expensive for what you get... I saw a deal on a Sony recently, it was 799 or 899 (can't remember, I saw it in a window of a sony store as i was walking past) which is ok, I've used a Sony once, they are quite light and do have the cool factor...

I..
    I'm about to purchase a laptop for a family member, will be for word-processing, surfing, music but also of course the cool factor comes into play, she's a student...something like the "Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 2 GHz".....But I have no experience with them, I do know their cool:rolleyes: and good for graphics but what about day to day use and is there an issue with compatibility with windows machines, I presume she will be transferring word processor files to college windows machines, could that be an issue for a novice user? ....

You'd need to find out does the college support Apple on their network and their applications. They probably do. Ditto the applications the student needs to run for college. If its simple word processing there shouldn't be much of an issue. A Laptop is only a computer for doing work. If you don't know the specifics of that work then its hard to advise you.

Macbook is a nice machine. OS X is nice. However don't think Macs are problem free, they have their own issues. You'll pay more for the same performance but it will be a sleeker machine with a better OS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks for the advice, as I said in the original post I don't want this thread to be a dell vs apple thread and as I said Dell isn't really an option right now due to the availability issues.

Microsoft Office on Mac, has anyone used this? I bet it costs a packet, I'd prefer not to purchase software for the apple, the price of the machine is pushing it as it is.

There are other laptop makers other than dell and apple. Try elara.ie for laptops. They have a huge range and allow you to search by different criteria including screen size so you should have no problems finding something portable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'd recommend the mac.

I'd never used a mac until my gf bought a macbook pro earlier this year.

Using the Vista laptop and her macbook pro, I can safely say, I'd now chose the mac every time.

I've used OpenOffice on Linux before, I had no problems but I'm on computers all day and there are light Dells out there, I'm on one right now.

Yeah Sony look nice but their cheapest one is up there with an Apple, I think I'd go for the Apple option but the apple to windows compatibility must be a non issue.

I'll also take a trip into PCWorld before I purchase I think they sell HPs and Fujitsu, I'm not a big fan of either.

You made a sweeping generalisation about portability that was incorrect. I proved you wrong. End of story.

There isn't one size screen and resolution thats perfect for everyone. So theres another sweeping generalization.

Most vendors including Apple sell 15" and larger. So what?

Most people have Dells. So therefore most problems will be with Dells. If only one person had a Dell and didn't have a problem would that mean that all Dells don't give problems. No it would mean your survey was too small.
    I'm surrounded by 55laptops on a daily basis. About 2/3 of them are Dell. Each one of them complains about how heavy they are.

So. That could mean they've all bought heavy laptops. Not that all Dells are heavy. I've proved that already. Or it could mean they are all weak, or just moany students.

Most colleges have some sort of standard they expect documents to submitted. Occasionally you'll get a fuss pot lecturer who'll insist on it being done their way. But there no way of knowing this till it happens.

I can't see there be any problems with standard documents unless you start getting to fussy with formatting. In which case you'll just have sort it out if theres a problem. Its only a document, its not rocket science.

Mac or Dell you'll have to buy Office. Really theres no point for 90% of home uses and students to do this. In business its a different story.

If I was a student I'd have the lightest smallest laptop that I could afford, but the main priority would be with a huge battery life 5hrs+. Thats for carrying around in college. Then I'd have a big screen and full sized keyboard to use with the laptop when back at the flat.

Do students really need to carry a laptop around all day?

Can someone tell me more about this Apple Educational program, I've had a quick look but can't see what exactly the benefits are?

O2 sell Macbooks do they?

Also any more information on Wireless network compatibility for a Macbook, I would have thought it's not an issue, the college provide a wireless network.

Can someone tell me more about this Apple Educational program, I've had a quick look but can't see what exactly the benefits are?

O2 sell Macbooks do they?

Also any more information on Wireless network compatibility for a Macbook, I would have thought it's not an issue, the college provide a wireless network.

Using the wireless won't be a problem.

Yep, o2 do sell macbooks.

I think the mac educational thing is a student discount for people buying macs.

Next time you have a chance weigh an equivalent Dell against a Mac. Also I am well aware most vendors sell 15"+ ... Apple have specifically targeted the macbook towards Students hence it only coming in 13".

You really do take this to heart don't you? Work for Dell by any chance?

And with reference to the survey thing.. I have used and talked to enough people who use them to make an opinion on them.

Now I think you should pay some respect to the OP and quit all these abusive posts. If you want to contribute why dont you link to a laptop which proves your point that can be bought here in Ireland.
    That could mean they've all bought heavy laptops.

Standard Dell Inspirons and XPS machines. 15"

Student discount. You don't need to follow it up just order from that part of the site and put in the college she is in. As far as I know..on the macbook its 100euro off. Not that great but still something.

There are no disadvantages of using a mac. Go try one for yourself maybe.

• Advertisement

100euro off sounds good, that's another phonecall.
    I'll try out the macbook tomorrow in an O2 shop, maybe they'll know something about the student discount too.

Next time you have a chance weigh an equivalent Dell against a Mac. Also I am well aware most vendors sell 15"+ ... Apple have specifically targeted the macbook towards Students hence it only coming in 13".

No they have targeted the 13" at people who want a small and light laptop. Not every student wants a 13" laptop. Also it's not just students who want small and light laptops.

Now I think you should pay some respect to the OP and quit all these abusive posts. If you want to contribute why dont you link to a laptop which proves your point that can be bought here in Ireland.

A 13.3" dell xps.

Apple sell both 15" and 17" macbooks as well. Does this mean that all apples are big and heavy? Of course not, it just means that apple cater for people who want a 15" or 17" laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

and as I said Dell isn't really an option right now due to the availability issues.

I don't believe there should be any availability issues with Dells outlet machines (refurbished). I ordered a 13.3" Dell XPS a few days ago, i'll let you know what the order time is like when it arrives.

800euro all-in bought me what should be a fairly lightweight, high-spec machine. If anything, you should pick one up cheaper, as mine had some battery-sapping features you probably won't want on a college machine (geforce card, 7200rpm drive, 2ghz).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ciarán_Dublin

I'd go with the macbook. Small, light and as was said they do pretty much everything a PC does. And if there was maybe one program that didnt work, you can always put windows on the macbook and dual boot.

Also, make sure you buy a mac online. I got mine in a 3g store and they sold me an old macbook which i never coped for months.

If you have time, tesco were selling Vista laptops for 699 and 899 i think. They looked very portable, and the cheaper one was the same spec as a macbook. But i dont know if they have had hardware issues etc etc

Next time you have a chance weigh an equivalent Dell against a Mac.

Weigh why? The specs are there to read on the web.
    XPS M1330 (13") 4lbs vs 5lbs for the MacBook (13")
    XPS M1530 (15") is 5.7lbs vs 5.4lbs for the MacBook Pro (15")
    If you want to contribute why dont you link to a laptop which proves your point that can be bought here in Ireland.

Standard Dell Inspirons and XPS machines. 15"

Why? With the web anything can be bought in Ireland. I've already proved my point.
    Anyone who spent a couple of minutes looking at laptops would know theres more portable than a Macbook.

Newsflash. 15" laptops are heavy for lugging around all day. Of course they aren't designed for that. The students bought the wrong size laptop.
    Thats not Dell fault. Most likely they bought the cheapest bang for buck which is usually the 15" machine. Should have bought something smaller.
    Smaller screen = lighter and potentially better battery life.

BTW theres an Apple refurb store on their Irish webstore. keep an eye on that, the list changes all the time. Can be better then the educational discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also, (even though I personally would NOT go with the Apple) I saw a poster around college (CIT) for something like a free iPod of some sort (nano or shuffle i presume) if you buy a laptop off them... So suss that out too...

Ehem,
    So Dell have guaranteed me that the laptop will arrive by christmas if I order now.
    Apple are putting a big push on with students for MacBooks there's about a 100euro discount.
    Also note softare is discounted for students and can be purchased here at micromail http://www.studentsoftware.ie/microsoftchest.htm, just thought I throw that in.

dulpit wrote: »
    Also, (even though I personally would NOT go with the Apple) I saw a poster around college (CIT) for something like a free iPod of some sort (nano or shuffle i presume) if you buy a laptop off them... So suss that out too...

That offer may have expired. I don't know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

OP, I'm not going to help spoil your thread :rolleyes:

I used a macbook throughout college, and use a macbook pro now.
    • Nice and light for lugging around.
    • Educational Discount for all 3rd level students, roughly 150 euro off.
    • Google Docs and Open Office are free programmes that are free and give you the benefits of MS Office without the price tag.
    • If you need to run Windows programmes, you can use Bootcamp for free (with OS Leopard) or buy 3rd party software. Both work flawlessly.
    • You'll have no difficulty connecting to wireless networks.
    • Your college might have an Apple rep. who would be able to demo a macbook for you and give you some advice, ask your computer centre.

Basically, if YOU want a macbook then get one. They are fabulous machines and I have no doubt you'll love the experience.

Advertisement