Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Walnut kitchen table - beeswax or danish oil?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Bought a new Walnut kitchen table recently and want to protect it. I've been told to use Beeswax but have read a few threads here mentioning Danish Oil. What would you recommend and where would I pick it up? I'm in D15 and work on south side of city near Grand Canal Dock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

What finish is already on it?

We have a solid oak table, and solid oak worktops that we treat with Danish Oil every year. We find it gives a great long lasting finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Well, it's finished with something alright but that's the way it was bought. I know nothing about these kinda things. More of a techy kinda guy :cool:

Anybody got any more advice?

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

it's probably been finished with laquer. your best using mats under plates and cups so it doesn't scratch or leave a ring on the table from a hot cup without a mat under it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

If the table is already finished Danish oil is not going to be suitable, this is best reserved for unfinished wood. Place mats would be your best bet, as already suggested.

Fair enough. Place mats it is. It's just that we're likely to have a number of nieces and nephews visiting over Xmas and I wanted to make sure I had suitable protection in place. Going forward, say once a year, should I coat it in Beeswax or Dansih oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Ddanish oil is not going to work in your case as the oil won't be absorbed by the wood if the table already has a coating applied. You could certainly "repair" any minor scrapes or dings with a little bit of the danish oil, rubbed into the affected areas. I've successfuly done this on my own (pre-finished) oak table. I've never applied a wax but it's certainly an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Any chance of a pic of the table to help us try and distinguish finish on it.

I bought a solid oak table from instore, which had a danish oil finish - so may not be laquer on it.

If it's surface is very smooth chances are it's laquer though.

Will try to post a pic later. It's very smooth so more than likely a laquer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jay one

junkers oil is the best you can use it on wood floors counter tops its food safe
    and dose not take that long to drie you get it brooks naas road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Although it is one of my favourite finishes due to convenience of application and looks, I wouldn't use beeswax on a kitchen table as it has no tolerance to heat or moisture... so even a cup of tea can leave a ring.

If it wasn't already oiled when you bought it maybe you could give it a sand to clean it off / remove varnish and bring it to a professional sprayer and have it sprayed in a PC Matt Lacquer... that's what we usually finish walnut in at work and it looks great.

If any parts are veneered wood. and not solid, the legs or rails for example, be careful not to sand through the veneer!

Becker Acroma in Robinhood Industrial Estate, in Dublin 22 supply top quality woodfinishes. They might be able to give you good advice and point you in the right direction after the holidays... 01-4601445.

I don't know that much about finishes myself but I hope that helps!!

Advertisement