Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Fault

Options
  • 02-12-2007 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Could anyone shed any light on a problem I'm having with my TV.It's a Mitsubishi Black Diamond.Works fine for a while then the picture disapears and I'm left with a white line accross the centre of the screen.

Any suggestions? Do people bring their TV's for repair anymore?

Any help appreciated.

Ic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Sounds like a fault with the tube - If it is it's not worth fixing, as it's too expensive. It may be something simple though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, I think that's referred to as a "frame collapse" and is usually repairable. Don't think it's the tube itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yeah, something to do with the horizontal positioning coil, probably just a bad connection that breaks once it warms up. A TV repair shop should be able to sort it out for not too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

A TV repair shop should be able to sort it out for not too much.

Should be easily repairable , unfortunately there are not to many TV repair shops around these days , due to the fact that TV's are now relatively cheap ,

Paying someone to spend a couple of hours fault finding , replacing the offending part , etc. usually works out more expensive than buying a new set. ( or at least a big part of the price of a new set).

Repairing TV's was only financially viable when TV's were expensive. So unless you know how to do it yourself , and with CRT's you need to know what your doing as it can be quite dangerous , then its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

There is a place in Tuam Co. Galway called McManus's who do repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Thanks Guys,I think I'll give the repair shop a ring and see if I can get an idea of the cost over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

If it works fine for a while, it is more than likely a dry joint on the frame/field chip i.e. bad solder joint.
    It also could be the frame/field chip itself which goes faulty when it heats up, which shouldnt be very expensive for a replacement.
    To see if its a bad joint, give the top of the TV a slap. If the picture returns, then its just a bad connection. Though this doesnt always show up a dry joint.
    This particular part of the tv can be give trouble due to the fact they usually run pretty warm. Things that run hot can give dry joint problems. Usually located on a heat sink on the circuit board.
    And its definatley not the tube.

Advertisement