Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a High-End HP Laptop in Dulbin?

Options
  • 02-12-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get my hands on a HP Laptop for Christmas but you know how it is on the high-street, you'll generally get an ok processor 2GB of RAM but a terrible graphics card. Is there anywhere in Dublin where I can just walk in an buy a High-End HP Laptop? Something that will run Crysis and do it justice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 asirvydis

I'm looking to get my hands on a HP Laptop for Christmas but you know how it is on the high-street, you'll generally get an ok processor 2GB of RAM but a terrible graphics card. Is there anywhere in Dublin where I can just walk in an buy a High-End HP Laptop? Something that will run Crysis and do it justice?

Good question, I second that! Anyone, please?

But with normal prices, as I have check one laptop on laptopsdirect.ie for 1100e and when called some shop in Dublin (forgot the name 'something' 2000) they said it's 1500e. I am willing to pay maybe 100e more to be able just to go and pick it, but not 400e - that is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Well for Crysis in particular you will want a particularly beefy graphics card to run it on high settings, and I doubt any retail store in Dublin will have something like that unless its either in PC World or the Laptop Shop in Stephens Green shopping Centre.
    Brands like Alienware,Dell (High end XPS) and Rock Laptops (English company www.rockdirect.com) would be your best bet for high end laptops but as with most laptops you will pay a high premium for ones with good graphics cards and I really doubt any HP ones would have what your looking for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've got a 7900gs and I could only manage to run the crysis demo (I haven't tried the full game, they may have optimised it more) at medium. The 7950gtx is a better card then the one I have so it would run it better. If you want better than this you'll have to wait for nVidia to release 8800 mobile parts or ati to release 2900/38xx mobile and God only knows how far away they are.

Both the 7900gs and 7950gtx cards are pretty rare and only available in 17" laptops. I don't think I've ever seen them in bricks and mortar shops.

It looks like you are going to have to go on-line for this. Majik points out some good ones, you might want to try mesh as well. Personally I think the only way you will get this type of laptop is by checking the dell outlet store and their ebay store (don't have a link, google should find it for you though). People have picked up some good bargains on them.

Advertisement