Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an mp3 for brother for x-mas

Options
  • 02-12-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Hey, i am going to buy an mp3 ( that plays vids too, so i guess its mp4?) well what brands do ye reccomend? like i know theirs the usual ipod and creative are these the best to stick too ? if so what models.. Also do ye know of any good sites to buy the portable media players, that ship to ireland.

thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm qiute partial to the Creative ZV:M. It might be hard to come by now. How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

hmmm 200- 250?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

hmmm 200- 250?

nice, that opens a lot of doors to ya.

Are there any "must haves" you want the device to do? Also sizewise what is acceptable? or does it matter?

i suppose i would be looking for one thats thin and not too bulky, that plays vids in goodish quality and has good space, if thats any help to you, my bro does alot of exercise and running so one thats not too bulky to bring with him.

that's perfect, now I have a good idea of what to recommend.

Top of the list is the iRiver Clix 2, not availbale in any store over here so you'll have to buy online.

next one down would be the samsung P2, might be available in store but is expensive, can be got for 250 euro online.

At 3 it's the Creative Zen, nice device, great GUI and available in store

They're just off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will recommend different models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You can pick up an 8gb iPod Touch for €265 on Pixmania right now - beats any of those Creatives hands down in my book
    Personally I hate the Creative GUI it's too fiddly plus on the Touch you get Wi-Fi and the BEST GUI you will ever see - no contest. You can also buy and download music online from the iTunes Wi-Fi Store.
    If he has a huge music collection may not be the best thing - but you could pick up a new iPod Classic 80 gb for around €250 direct from Apple

No.

I own the touch (just sold it actually) and if your bro exercises a lot then it is one of the worst choices to make.

Also, too fiddly? I don't get what you mean, you point, you click, it's not that difficult to master, and to add you can get the 16gb Zen off pixmania for €223, double the capacity for €42 less

so mactard the iRiver looks pretty class, its 169.99 on http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/ so thats 237 euro, not too bad, what do you like so much about it?. like its only 8gb but thats prolly enough.

sorry just to add, im not to knowledgeable on media players but can it take mp3s and wma`s and is it easy to put music onto it?

I really like its sleek design, its also very small and very portable. You can customise the themes (GUI) on it, it is well regarded as having on of the best SQ's on the market, it's nice and easy to use, and has a gorgeous, deep and rich amoled screen. The menu's can be flipped horizontally or vertically... really it is a very good DAP, but a tad more expensive than some of the others which I have always found off putting. I found it on ebay for a little less: http://cgi.ebay.ie/iRiver-U20-CLIX-2-Red-Line-MP3-Player-8GB-FM-Trans_W0QQitemZ280179307526QQihZ018QQcategoryZ73839QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem but it's not that much less. I've worked with AMP3.co.uk before, still do from time to time and they're certainly the best online DAP retailer around.

The Clix2 can work with both PC's and Mac and it also works with Windows media player if that helps. Just to sweeten the deal you can also get this armband for running with: http://www.misticriver.net/2007/11/iriver-clix-armband-2/

Another player I forgot to mention is the Meizu M6, it's a chinese brand mp3 player, it's very cheap to buy but of very high quality. My youngest brother has one and it seems really excellent, also I've read a lot of good things about it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    how about the new iPod Classic 80gb for 250€ , its more space then he'll ever need, its very sylish, thin and light.

Pluss you can get an engraving for free;)

I really hope the EU volume cap gets hacked soon, i'm already considering returning my Classic, the headphone output is so meagre. I have the volume set at over half way with IEM's

• Advertisement

well ive asked my bro, and he actually does say that he would like the ipod touch, but i have shown him the Iriver which he also likes, so In comparison whicn one is better, he has told me that the i touch u can surf the internet or something??

it sure can (as long as you have a wifi connection of course) and it does it fairly well too.

Which is better?

hmmm, well, the novelty of the ipod touch wore off for me after a month, the clix2 is way smaller than the touch and better for exercising with (if the touch falls, it's glass screen will crack), but the touch has a bigger screen and internet, it depends on what is important.

Advertisement