Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet summer vs Dry autumn/winter

Options
  • 01-12-2007 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

is there some larger force at work in the weather, beside the usual day to day fluctuations that caused such a wet and dreary summer followed by the record autumn we've just experienced.

i think i can remember johnny eagleton mentioning something about the jet stream having shifted position one night but can't recall his exact words.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

hmmmm. It must have shifted back with all the wind and rain of the past days and that forecast for the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We did have a meridional jet stream for a long time in autumn, unfortunatly its zonal all the way currently - http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_atl_h12_00.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conorlyons

interesting longfield, but what effect exactly does that have on our weather? I take it that its a bad thing that its moved further north our way..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

conorlyons wrote: »
    interesting longfield, but what effect exactly does that have on our weather? I take it that its a bad thing that its moved further north our way..
    When the jet is over our shores it means a winter like 2006/07 ie:a zonal flow of atlantic storms one after the other crossing close too or over us.

The only thing different is the jet is not as far north as last winter,so cold will be accompaning mild this time round.
    The further the jet moves south,the more chance that high pressure will build to our north or north west and will allow cold polar air down upon us.Untill then the atlantic is going to be very mobile for the foreseeable.

Advertisement