Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Jack Inspiron 9300 broken

Options
  • 01-12-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I cannot turn on my i9300 anymore as the powerjack on the laptop is goosed. It has been loose for many months and I had to keep it in the same place not to disturb it. Just wondering is there repair shops that would fix this and how much am I talking about. Most places charge over e60 an hour so just wondering if it was worth while even. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

It can be fixed yes, is it worth it? probably not in the long run. Once the DC jack is resoldered it is never really as stable as orignally, you'd be worrying will too much pressure dislodge it again, and indeed for the cost of fixing the part which I imagine would be above €100 at least for the amount of labour involved I'd put the money towards a nice new christmas laptop, you can use the old laptops hard drive in an external caddy and use it as external storage too.
    Just my 2 cent's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

majiktripp wrote: »
    It can be fixed yes, is it worth it? probably not in the long run. Once the DC jack is resoldered it is never really as stable as orignally, you'd be worrying will too much pressure dislodge it again, and indeed for the cost of fixing the part which I imagine would be above €100 at least for the amount of labour involved I'd put the money towards a nice new christmas laptop, you can use the old laptops hard drive in an external caddy and use it as external storage too.
    Just my 2 cent's.

thanks majiktripp. Well, I already bought an inspiron 1520 couple of weeks ago (same damn power jack as 9300). I have this one in the one place (with windows XP) acting like a server. e100 wouldn't be too bad at all, as I went into one repair job and they were humming and howing saying that it would cost e65 just to open it up to have a look!

The €100 guess was a conservative estimate as I know from experience nobody likes replacing power jacks as it's a long tedious process with no guaranty of success, and most people expect it done for a few shillings and a poem. As long as you have another laptop I would either put the 9300 on the back burner or even try an shift it on adverts.ie or ideed ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

thanks majiktripp for replies. Well I tried soldering it myself at work and so far so good at the moment. Will just keep it in the same spot and hope for the best. Even if it died again, at least I've all my important stuff off it now.

Good to hear ya fixed it! Glad it worked out and (fingers crossed) stays going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement