Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a suitable timber for woodcarving for a Junior Certificate Woodwork project

Options
  • 30-11-2007 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

The project my son has in mind for the JC woodwork project will require him to carve 2 arms and a pair of hands in some timber.

Looking for suggestions please on suitable timbers.

The project will commence next week and be finished by mid April, any thoughts on the risks of the timber 'over drying' during this period?

All suggestions/ thoughts thereon welcome
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The best timber of all for carving is Lime, known as Basswood in the US and Linden in Germany ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basswood .

It's relatively soft and more importantly has very little in the way of directional grain, so cuts in all directions equally easily. I wouldn't know where the best place to get any from, but I'd guess the school would be able to get hold of some for him through their contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

yes lime will take both finishes. It's a very nice timber to carve as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Lime might be hard to come by, if you can't get here, try a Google for " John Boddy" . it's a UK company that has an amazing stock of alternative and rare woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

did your son source any lime since?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Did you manage to get sorted with the lime yet, if not let me know I might be able to help,

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Do you have a source for lime kadman,I'd be interested in getting some if you do.

Advertisement