Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine broken

Options
  • 30-11-2007 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

The motor sounds knackered when it spins and the water won't drain. Of course, the door won't open. The machine is 14 years old so it doesn't owe me anything! Time for a new one but how can I get the clothes out before the new one comes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sounds like a dodgy drum bearing coupled with a blocked or non functioning pump.

Some machines have a door in front to access the drain filter IIRC.

Failing that, you'll have to get it outside, remove the feed to the pump and let the water drain out of the drum. I'd imagine you'll have multicoloured clothes if you don't do so soon.

That old machine may well be saveable btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I agree that it's likely the bearing. At that age, the water seals may well have given way and once water finds its way into the bearing, it's days are numbered.

It is possible to replace the seal and bearing but in a 14 year old machine, I wouldn't think it's worth it. It won't be cheap unless you can do the labour yourself and even then, it can be a difficult enough job.

You might find other stuff going wrong in the machine after going to the trouble and expense of repairing the bearing.

My advice, replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Avns1s wrote: »
    My advice, replace it.
    Yes, even a machine that is a couple of years old is hardly worth repairing considering the call out costs etc.

Even if your handy they are usually a curse to work on. I end up violently kicking parts around the kitchen and then have to get a repairman out anyway! :eek:

To get the clothes out, bring it outside and break the door latch with a large screwdriver. (presuming, of course, that you are replacing it).

My mother has a Zanussi since 1984 and its still working (covered in rust though).

I concur with everything Wishbone Ash has said. I have memories also of propelling stuff around kitchens and many cut fingers from trying to repair the likes of these problems.

As regards opening the door, maybe once you let out the water, advance the programmer to the end of the programme, plug it in and wait a few mins for the door lock to release, it might open normally for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and many cut fingers from trying to repair the likes of these problems
    I meant to mention that also! Bloody inaccessable parts, screwheads etc. Replacing a belt is a pure bastard of a job. No way, in the celtic tiger era, I gave it all up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks for the advice! I can't hump this thing anywhere as it's too heavy to move. The only panel on the front is for the fluff filter so may have to break the lock where it is and mop the floor afterwards!

The only panel on the front is for the fluff filter .........!

That's the panel to open. Take out the fluff filter. The water will flow out though so you might need help or a hefty mop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

That's the panel to open. Take out the fluff filter. The water will flow out though so you might need help or a hefty mop.

Thanks, it worked with only a little flooding! The door is now open and my clothes are salvaged! :D

No problem. Glad it worked.

Advertisement