Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

espresso machine query

Options
  • 30-11-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

quick question from a newbie coffee head

i got an espresso machine and bought illy ground beans which will work fine...but i also bought some java republic ground stuff..but didn't know to buy the filter or the plunger grind...I ended up going for the plunger one as I figured it would be finer and i thought thats what i would need...

can anyone confirm if i bought the right one...don't have a grinder so couldn't get the espresso beans

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm afraid neither of those are the grind type you were looking for.

It sounds like this to me, the filter grind you purchased is used in the 'drip' type machine. The plunger grind is also a coarser grind than you require and is used in french press type applications.

Normally a ground coffee suitable for espresso will have it written on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

You need to buy coffee marked suitable for espresso machines. Better still, get a decent grinder and grind your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As both Rockbeer and Mr Magnolia have already stated the only grind
    suitable for an espresso machine is 'espresso grind'. In my experience
    the best pre-ground available in supermarkets is Illy, I found Lavazza
    slightly coarser (meaning the espresso was flowing too fast).

You should be able to pick up Illy in Superquinn, Tesco or Avoca Cafes.

Stick a decent grinder on your Christmas wish list if you can, you will
    not regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I did a 1/2 day barista course with Gaggia recently. According to the instructor none of the pre-ground coffee is suitable for an expresso machine. I bought a grinder and vacuum canister from them - beans will keep for a month or so before deteriorating.

74merc wrote: »
    I did a 1/2 day barista course with Gaggia recently. According to the instructor none of the pre-ground coffee is suitable for an expresso machine. I bought a grinder and vacuum canister from them - beans will keep for a month or so before deteriorating.

You did a barista course and they didn't mention it was called eSpresso? ;)

Obviously they had an interest in selling you some kit, as what they told you isn't quite true... you can - and people do - make espresso with pre-ground coffee. What is true is that the result is infinitely superior using fresh-ground coffee from a grinder adjusted for the particular machine.

I'd be very interested to compare the same beans kept in your vacuum canister for a month as against genuine fresh-roasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

To be honest there was no hard sell to buy any of their products, though I did get a few quid off. I'd take fresh roasted beans everytime versus old beans, but beans stored in a vacuum canister is the next best thing. What we were taught in the course is that a perfect eSpresso extraction takes 18-22 secs. Given that the pressure of the tamp should always be the same, the only variable to hit this window is the grind of the beans. So if the extraction is taking less time, you must make the grind finer and vice versa. If you buy pre-ground beans, you have taken this option away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd go so far as to say there are more variables to a good espresso than just
    the fineness of the grind.

For example, the level of tamp is open to fluctuation. Even if you take grind as
    constant, I'd also adjust for age of beans, level of roast and humidity.

I let my beans sit/degas for 24-36 hours after I roast them and grind fresh
    for each shot. I only roast enough beans at a time to last me 4-5 days.

What we were taught in the course is that a perfect eSpresso extraction takes 18-22 secs.

That's actually quite fast... opinions vary on this, but up to 30 seconds is commonly reckoned to be fine, sometimes even longer, while 18 in my opinion is probably a bit of a 'gusher' and too fast to extract the maximum flavour from the beans.

Also it depends on whether you count from the moment you press the button or from when the first drips appear at the spouts.
    Given that the pressure of the tamp should always be the same, the only variable to hit this window is the grind of the beans. So if the extraction is taking less time, you must make the grind finer and vice versa. If you buy pre-ground beans, you have taken this option away.

Absolutely agree; in an ideal world the tamp, water temperature etc. should remain consistent and only the grind should be varied in order to adjust the length of the shot. Of course in a real-life scenario this is often not possible. Did you ever see a professional barista adjust the grinder before pouring a ristretto or lungo? It's far more common in a commercial situation to adjust the tamp to reduce/extend the shot (or just cut the shot short for a ristretto). In the same way, adjustment to the tamp pressure can be used to compensate for the imperfect grind to extract an acceptable espresso from pre-ground. Of course the pre-ground must be basically fine enough for espresso - it'll never work with filter grind for instance. Also, since beans go stale so quickly after being ground, the crema is almost guaranteed to be disappointing, if there's one at all.

I'm not advocating making espresso from pre-ground, just saying it can be done in a pinch. Wouldn't want to do it myself though :)

Advertisement