Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate responsibility to electrical safety testing

Options
  • 30-11-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭

What is the corporate responsibility to electrical safety testing in Ireland and how does that compare to the UK?
    I'm aware that Ireland has PAT testing, but it seems that the UK is more stringent on its use and implementation.

For example, I spend some of my time administering a lab of server and storage equipment for replicating test environments, but I am not the administrator, but I know that there has never been any type of PAT testing carried out on the equipment installed (>300 servers/librarys/storage).

Basically the lab is somewhat of a free-for-all in terms of wiring (mains, network, fibre) and one of my worries is that an electrical accident could occur due to damage, wear & tear or misuse of devices within the lab.

Is there a requirement of my employer to ensure that devices and cables used within the lab are regularly checked as per the PAT guidelines? Where do I go to see this documented?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This has been hammered out in the 2007 General App Regs for Safety , Health and welfare at work.

Now it is required that on top of having to provide safe equipment for employees to use, employers must have their equipment tested by trained people with a written record of same.

In short its been there or there about for a few years but a bit too loose to hammer an employer on, but the latest developments indicate that there must be a written record.

So you could check the General Application Regulations 2007 for Safety , Health and welfare at work, not that this is seen to be legal advice in any way shape or form, its just an application document, take from it what you want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Interesting, thanks Stoner (and congrats on the new forum! ;) ).
    I may look at getting PAT certified and see will they cough up for a PAT tester!

Advertisement