Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Trips Switch

Options
  • 30-11-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I've an problem with my immersion heater when i turn it on it trips one of the main switches.

Is this due to a short in the circuit ? It always worked fine until now, the immersion is on a sererate switch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It could be a short or earth leakage.
    It's going to be one for an electrician anyhow, not really something which can be safely DIY'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Earth leakage most likely.

I second 10-10-20, in that it's time to call a sparks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

99 times out of 100 the immersion element needs to be replaced. As another poster said it is probebly earth leakage. This is because the element has come to the end of its days IE burnt out.

Most tanks take the longer type of element that are 2/3KW (sink/bath), others take a shorter element, 2KW.

The hardest part of replacing the element is removing the old one, you need to drain the tank to the level of the immersion element and turn off the water supply to the tank! Electricaly it is quick and easy to connect/disconnect.

Expect to pay €25-30 for a new element.

An immersion spanner is also required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

when using the immersion spanner do not put too much leverage on eg don't shove a 4' length of scaffold pipe on it for torque:) as u run the risk of shearing the whole unit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

When using immersion spanner a quick sharp tap with a hammer should break the seal and then unscrew the unit.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement