Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone or Itouch?

Options
  • 30-11-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Im not a big poster on Boards but i find it a fantastic service. Everytime i have a tech question its the first place i come too and more often than not find the answer.

My question is: Im travelling to america soon and i want to get a new ipod. My other one had an accident. Ive been looking at iphones and itouch's. I was hoping someone could help me make this decision, i also need a new phone so the iphone would be preferable but if all the applications dont work in Ireland yet i dont know if its worth it? Any recommendations out there?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

buying an iPhone in the states to work here will involve hacking it to work on networks over here. It's not a tough job and there's plenty of companys doing it. Most of the apps will work (i.e. mail, stocks, etc) and as far as i know the only problem is to do with voicemail. If you're with O2 they seem to be fairly good at helping people out.

Try looking through this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055113165

On the iTouch front, I've had mine since the first few weeks and it's a great device. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd suggest you definetily buy one of the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

amull87 wrote: »
    buying an iPhone in the states to work here will involve hacking it to work on networks over here. It's not a tough job and there's plenty of companys doing it. Most of the apps will work (i.e. mail, stocks, etc) and as far as i know the only problem is to do with voicemail. If you're with O2 they seem to be fairly good at helping people out.

Try looking through this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055113165

On the iTouch front, I've had mine since the first few weeks and it's a great device. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd suggest you definetily buy one of the 2.

Cheers amull87, I think ill definitely get one of the two. Just cant decide which one to go for. Is there anything the itouch has that the iphone lacks, except the larger memory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

x2 on the itouch - got one in the states and love it! (have an ipod video aswell but screen just a little too small i find)

as for the iphone - it just has added apps but max memory is 8g. Just read up a bit on it because as a phone its not fantastic (from what I've heard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Please note that before buying an iphone in the states , most of them over there do not take sim cards , so getting it to work over here will be difficult enough if pay as you go is your thing.

You'd be better off getting the O2 one here if a phone is the way you go.
    And as a about million people have already posted , besides the interface its a pretty poor phone compared to some nokias and Sony Ericsson's , camera is weak , features are weak etc. By all means get an itouch , they look pretty good , but the iphone , nah ...there are better phones.

Cheers everyone,

Im gonna get the 16GB itouch in the states. There is nothing to worry about buying an itouch outside Ireland, is there? Bar customs obviously. Pain in the ****.

Is the Jailbreak on the itouch hard to do? Is it worth doing? What would you be missing without doing it?

• Advertisement

Dunno if we're allowed talk about customs but just take it out of the box and put it in your pocket!

As far as the jailbreak, it's not hard if you have any form of computer knowledge and it is most definetely worth it. There are endless things which you can add. I couldn't use my Touch without it jailbroken now. Some examples are the lack of the main iPhone applications i.e. Mail, Stock, Notes, Weather and Maps as well as the ability to edit just about everything on your iPod for your personal taste i.e. backgrounds, icon images.

Although if you don't feel like jailbreaking it you can wait until Feburary when Apple start releasing their official apps!

Sorry for mentioning customs boards. I didnt realise that was taboo.

Im gonna go ahead and get it anyway. Ill try the jailbreak, it looks pretty straight forward i have to say. I wasnt sure about the bit where you enter your IP address.

This doesnt make your itouch vulnerable to attack?

Thanks for all of your comments, i genuinely appreciate it. Heres hoping i can advise ye with something someday.

No problem and as far as I know the jailbreak actually makes your iPod more secure because it includes a patch for the TIFF exploit which is basically a big hole in the programming and how the hackers got into it in the first place. Basically you're going in through an open door and closing it behind you!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just got my touch! Writing on it now! Best thing i ever bought! :d

Have you run the Jailbreak on it? Im going mad waiting to get it now. Wont have it home at my laptop untill the 17th. Wont get much work done when i finally have it to play with it.

Any hassle doing the jailbreak? Any movies tv shows on it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Deedsie wrote: »
    Have you run the Jailbreak on it? Im going mad waiting to get it now. Wont have it home at my laptop untill the 17th. Wont get much work done when i finally have it to play with it.

Any hassle doing the jailbreak? Any movies tv shows on it yet?

Jailbreak is so easy, you simply go to a website (http://jailbreakme.com/) and install the AppTapp installer.

I was watching the first half of Deja Vu on my Touch today, next half for when I go home =)

• Advertisement

Just a warming though: the back of the touch is VERY prone to marks, get a wallet case or a see through plastic cover for the back, you wont even notice its there.
    You can say that again, I have a nice €2 coin shaped scape on the back of my Touch - the screen is amazingly resistant to scratches - not to greasy hands though haha!

the screen is lovely though, *drool*

gone are the days of being stuck in a airport with nothing to do:D

(this is my first iPod that plays video aswel, so im double happy:D)
    And plays video well, its so crisp and clear and just.... fricking brilliant. Best thing I've ever got.

Next on the list - N95 8GB *drool*

Going to invest in a good one on eBay but I'm looking for a really good one, not a crappy leather one (reminds me of the old phone leather case craze of the late 90's)

Ye are killing me here, cant wait to get it going, say its savage. I have to try and find away to make tv shows super small, i have my itunes library selected and ready to sync exactly what i want on it. 5GB Music and Podcasts. Leaves me Eleven for Videos and that. Hope that can hold alot. A Season of Scrubs would be great.

I was looking at the N95 aswell very impressive. Did you see the LG Viewty. Savage phone. Not available in Ireland though :rolleyes:. Still worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gerrynealon

Hi everyone,

Im not a big poster on Boards but i find it a fantastic service. Everytime i have a tech question its the first place i come too and more often than not find the answer.

My question is: Im travelling to america soon and i want to get a new ipod. My other one had an accident. Ive been looking at iphones and itouch's. I was hoping someone could help me make this decision, i also need a new phone so the iphone would be preferable but if all the applications dont work in Ireland yet i dont know if its worth it? Any recommendations out there?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place?
    hi i got an iphone from the states last week and it can not be unlocked for another while as the software is not hacked yet..i could have jailbreaked it but that only f***s up the software on the phone causing many many problems down the line..but what i have seen of it as my friend got one is that it is an amazing piece of technology i would very much rather it than the touch

I think im happy enough with the itouch. With the Jailbreak it has most of the things an iphone has apparently. Im gonna either get a Nokia N95 or an LG viewty in the new year. So the phone and camera are not much of a pull. Cheers for the advice though.

Oh ya also meant to ask, Is it true when buying an iphone in the states you must pay for it with a credit card? Is this the same for an itouch or is cash ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gerrynealon

I think im happy enough with the itouch. With the Jailbreak it has most of the things an iphone has apparently. Im gonna either get a Nokia N95 or an LG viewty in the new year. So the phone and camera are not much of a pull. Cheers for the advice though.

Oh ya also meant to ask, Is it true when buying an iphone in the states you must pay for it with a credit card? Is this the same for an itouch or is cash ok?

i payed by cash myself so you should be ok i think,,,$399....i dont think u have to pay by credit card for the itouch either but not 110% sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no, in the mac store in NYC on 5th ave there was a que for credit cards and a que for cash sales.
    so use what you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭pkeno

auggie2k wrote: »
    And plays video well, its so crisp and clear and just.... fricking brilliant. Best thing I've ever got.

Next on the list - N95 8GB *drool*

I'm the opposite, have a N95 8Gb and am trying to justify buying a touch too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

if you use a case what do you use as a matter of interest?

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APIPTOUCHFB.html

Invisible Shield all the way. Protect your Touch from any scratch, guaranteed. Like a clear plastic, so your Touch still looks yummy. Then bang it into any old case you want, happy in the knowledge it will always be scratch free. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mathias wrote: »
    Please note that before buying an iphone in the states , most of them over there do not take sim cards , so getting it to work over here will be difficult enough if pay as you go is your thing.

lol thats just not true. the iphone takes a SIM card, getting it to work is not that difficult. just jailbreak it and install anysim on the installer, done and done. the settings for EDGE and messaging may take a bit of setting up but there is more than enough info on boards to do it.

also I would recommend waiting. 3g iphone will be here in June and I would hope when it is launched we'll have it here. but pick up the ipod touch to keep you going!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

thinking of getting that, but can you see the plastic? as in, would you know its there?

Depends on how good you are at putting it on. Some devices are easier than others, eg the Touch is very easy to apply so likely hood of getting bubbles etc is very slim. Its entire surface is stuck to the device. I usually just do the back. I guess it looks more like the factory plastic than say what you would have covered books with in school. You can barely see it, I mean you have to look properly at the device to see if its there (if applied properly).

Advertisement