Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomtom Maps - New Version 50% Discount

Options
  • 30-11-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I see Tomtom are offering a 50% discount on the latest maps. I am wondering is it worth upgrading. I have V660.1256 (Western Europe) and the upgrade is now €50.
    Anybody bought the newest (v 7.10) maps yet? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Has anybody tried out the new maps yet? Are there many changes and is it worth upgrading for Ireland? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Danjo,

I had a Tom Tom One with 6.60 maps on it and found it excellent but as time went on it got out of date as new motor ways came on line.

I had a problem with the tom tom one and bought a TT 720 which had the new 7.10 maps on it and to be sure the new 7.10 tele atlas maps for Ireland are really poor. The tracking or the roads are very poor, there are no townlands on the maps. There are roads on the map in Limerick City that never existed. There is a train track near me that the map has on the wrong side of the road. The cursor jumps between pints on the map as its very inaccurate. Plus even more.
    I have got the 6.60 map put on a SD card and use that in the TT 720 all the time as its much more accurate with the information it has.

For Ireland definitey the recommendation on the web is that the latest Naveteq for TT you can get is the best option.

I would definitely recommend the TT 720 but with their association to Tele Atlas and their poor Irish map (apparently the UK one isnt great either) I would not recommend the new 7.10 tele atlas maps.

I use tele atlas in the US and find it very accurate so its just they have no put in the effort for Ireland.

What do others think.

D

Anybody bought the New maps?

Has anybody tried out the new maps yet? Are there many changes and is it worth upgrading for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Thanks dfdream,

That is really good information. I will stick with my Navteq maps for the moment as they are pretty good anyway. Just thought it would be good to go with the latest but obviously not in this case.

Thanks again,

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have a TT One Europe and my map version is v675.1409

I thought TT used Teleatlas maps and just wondering what you mean about the Navteq option of maps?

Do you get a choice and do both types work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They used Navteq on a couple of models for a few months, possibly a year. They definitely don't use them anymore as they didn't renew the Navteq contract. Unfortunately, as most people know, the Navteq Ireland maps were the only ones that were any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

So is 6.75 the best maps for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Psygnosis wrote: »
    So is 6.75 the best maps for Ireland?

I have nothing really to compare them with but they do the job for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

They're trying to buy Teleatlas at the moment AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

If your unit comes with teletas maps can you switch to the navteq ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mossie

okcomputer wrote: »
    If your unit comes with teletas maps can you switch to the navteq ones?

Not officially. There are ways, but not via Tomtom.

• Advertisement

mossie wrote: »

please expand on this a bit!! even via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The ones in which you can obtain aren't as upto date as they could be though :(

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    The ones in which you can obtain aren't as upto date as they could be though :(

a fairly **** situation, any way of putting the latest navteq maps on the unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mossie wrote: »

I'd like to know how too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Bumping thread as it will help anyone concerned!

We should work together to find a way of getting up-to-date navteq maps on our tomtoms (this is not illegal btw)

Maybe theres a third party program to upload map packs?

Is there a way to extract the garmin map packs and upload to a tomtom via usb/pc program/ or sd card?

Maybe someone whom has updated navteq maps can provide a link or identify themselves?

Go on lads! :D

Advertisement