Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to refernce in your assignments.

Options
  • 30-11-2007 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have my first written assignment due which will have to inlcude references to the texts,journals etc that I use.

How does one go about doing this?
    I have a few examples of how the reference should be formatted but nothing about where to include it in your assignment.

Do I just include a list at the end and say where each ref. is related to i.e pg 3 par 2?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You might want to take a look at the harvard referencing system. We had a 2000 word essay to do for one of our lecturers and this is the one she told us to use. Go to the section "Referencing in the text of your assessment" to see where to include it in the assignment.

Don't forget to reference everything you have used and to put a bibliography at the end of the essay.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭light123

Techguy,

If you were given an assignment where you have to have references and a biblio at the end then where ever you are studying but specifically your course area has a specific way of referencing and writing the indexes etc.

You should be able to find this out. If there isn't one specifically your lecturer will have a preference or at least will point you in the right direction. Don't use any just any one you find. Have a reason.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

techguy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have my first written assignment due which will have to inlcude references to the texts,journals etc that I use.

How does one go about doing this?
    I have a few examples of how the reference should be formatted but nothing about where to include it in your assignment.

Do I just include a list at the end and say where each ref. is related to i.e pg 3 par 2?

I always tell my students that ultimately when writing assignments, back everything you say up with a reference. However, I do not specify a particular method, but as AC says, the Harvard method is the most widely used. This takes the form (Dunne, 2007), where Tom Dunne is the author and the year of publication is 2007. The full details are then given at the end of the document in a references section. Google Harvard method and you will get loads of examples.

Personally, I prefer a comment, with a superscript number (can't seem to demonstrate it here, see example here in Wikipedia). At the end of the assignment, you would have each of the numbers and the location of the reference (i.e. in what journal or book, including author and year).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Not directly related to referencing but here are a few tips for writing assignments:

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/%7Ewstarbuc/Writing/Fussy.htm

Advertisement