Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removable cd drives

Options
  • 30-11-2007 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Was just talking with a friend of mine earlier who's optical drive is broken on his laptop. We were just thinking how little we actually use cd drives anymore! Sometimes it can be months at a time for me! This would be especially the case if you were using isos and the such. Another friend of mine bought a laptop in america , think it was hp, where you could pull the cd drive out and insert a plastic cover in its place. Are many companies doing this idea? Im thinking of getting the vostro 1400 , any possibilties of doing the same with this?

Another question while i'm at it. Is an external usb cd drive reconized at launch, i.e can you boot from it?

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well seeing as you can boot from a usb key, I can't see why you can't boot from a external cd drive.

If you could remove the drive and put a plastic cover in its place then I'm sure dell would offer it as an optional extra so I'll presume you can't. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

AC you have a vostro right? can the cd drive be "clicked" out(like a battery). My bro's old laptop you could just click it out, my current one requires a screw driver. I guess your right about the external, does any one know where to get a cheap one of these? Doesn't even need to be a burner. It would be a nice feature , like if your bringing your laptop into college your almost certainly not going to be using the cd drive. Might not way all that much but every little helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't but my sister has a vostro 1000, I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can remove the cd drive.

There is an external dvd drive on elara but it's nearly €90 which is a bit expensive. You should take a look on ebay and adverts to see if you can find any cheaper ones there.

Advertisement