Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard disk issues (Toshiba 4070CDS)

Options
  • 30-11-2007 12:02am

My brother's friend dropped in a laptop for me to look at, a Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS (Celeron 366 I think). It was reporting errors on the hard disk, bad sectors and the like. I guessed the disk was bad and put it in my PC via USB to format it. But the format and subsequent chkdsk /r passed with no errors at all. So I put the disk back in and installed Windows 98 - all seemed well.

But now the drive is acting up again - giving disk write errors and "...press any key to run ScanDisk with surface analysis on these drives" upon bootup. The disk isn't original, it's a 20GB Hitachi drive.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? The only thing I can guess is maybe a capacity constraint like the 8.4GB barrier or something? The disk seemed perfectly fine in the USB caddy, just in the laptop it acts up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Could be the IDE connection to the board.

Advertisement