Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg prob

Options
  • 28-11-2007 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Hey all after my session i do a cool down of breaststroke and for the past few weeks i seem to be pulling all kinds of muscles when doing breaststroke especially along the inside of my legs from the calf upwards, wtf am i doing wrong am i kicking too hard?

I must point out i stretch/warm before and after each swimming session and cycle to and from swimming and i do it 6 days a week and take saturday as a down day for the sauna etc, i dont want to be big headed but ive passed out other people doing freestyle when im at the breaststroke.:D

What am i doing wrong? :(

Regards,

David.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Have you always done breaststroke or is a recent addition to your training set?
    How far do you cycle ?
    Do you have any potassium intake ? (bananas are a good source)
    How many strokes per 25m length are you doing ?

If its a recent addition, muscles just arent used to it, go easy, mix your cool down strokes

If you are cycling a long distance then training hard at FC/BC then your major muscle groups are stealing all your oxygenated blood

If it hurts during the set its cramp, have some potassium, If it hurts afterwards, your kicking too hard and you'll do your medial and cruciate knee ligaments if you dont slow it down, try a wedge kick instead of a whip.

Try gliding a little longer in between kick finish and arm pull, this will help slow the kick down.

Mind those knees, don't go BS legs only on your front or you'll mess up your back.

If none of those help, then post again with some more info on distance stroke rate, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

could simply be tight muscles used happen me cuz i've poor flexiblity i swam in competition for year but it made no difference,i had to stretch for ages b4 doing any breaststroke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Try this strech for 30 seconds or so before swimming breast stroke

Sit on the floor, back straight
    Soles of your feet together, ie pressed flat against each other
    Knees bent
    Push legs to ground with arms

Looks like a hindu praying ritual but it works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Soles of your feet together, ie pressed flat against each other
    Knees bent
    Push legs to ground with arms

Looks like a hindu praying ritual but it works for me

Mind them knees.
    Seriously. flexibility is one thing, but a medial ligament rupture or strain is really no joke. Not to even mention the cruciate. stretch the muscles not the joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hey guys thanks for the replies im sorted now, just a matter of stretching a bit more for me and im good now, cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement