Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Career Change

• 28-11-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Sambuca1

I am thinking of a career change as I have relocated to the West. I have an opportunity to get into a firm as a trainee but I am still undecided. I am 29 and would have to start from the very bottom again which I think the benefits of this qualification merit the hard graft. I have 11 years in the insurance industry but now have the chance to totally change career path. Can you tell me what is the duration of a traineeship and what typically would a trainee be paid in the first year???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ Gibbins123

hi, traineeship is usually 3.5years long, with part time study. starting wages are usually around 20k. some business/firms would offer up to 25k. you will get less money in a firm than in industry, but the training is supposed to be better. Each time you pass exams your wages will go up around 3 - 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ crapmanjoe

Gibbins123 wrote: »
    hi, traineeship is usually 3.5years long, with part time study. starting wages are usually around 20k. some business/firms would offer up to 25k. you will get less money in a firm than in industry, but the training is supposed to be better. Each time you pass exams your wages will go up around 3 - 5k.

Them wages you mention are dublin rates, OP said he is moving to the west!
    Know for a fact (cause know 2 people who are in there) that DHKN Galway pays 13.5 for 1st yr trainee's (ACA). The highest wage ive heard of in Galway is 18.5 (and thats big 4 regional office) - and god help ya if its outside Galway

Minimum wage dosent apply to training contracts :(

Advertisement