Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician Experiences

Options
  • 27-11-2007 2:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What are your optician experiences? Any that you recommend?

I recently switched from Specsavers Grafton St to Vision Express Henry St.
    VE are excellent. they also keep my appointment time. (I sometimes found myself waiting 30 mins to get seen after my booking time in SS)
    They also have my prescription in extended wear toric contacts (for high strength lenses) which SS dont have!
    They have better payment options, offering a monthly option by DD instead of paying for it all up front.
    Finally they offer a free replacement service if my contacts tear. SS either dont do this or dont advertise it as they never offered it to me.

When posting your experiences, dont make libel comments for your bad stories. In other words if you had a bad experience, dont mention the optician's name otherwise Boards.ie will be in the docks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

any place you go to where you have an appointment, you can be delayed!! due to un foreseen reasons ie. an older person was in there and they take longer to test. what kind of lenses do you wear?
    ss dont offer the dd option as ss had gathered information on the topic and found out that some people dont like businesses having their bank details. however ss in england offer that option. ss do replace lenses if they are torn in the packet. however if you tear them yourself then maybe you're being clumsy and shouldnt be wearing them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

My old optician was great, always had plenty of time for u and never forced u into buying glasses u didn't want or need, he's retired now so won't mention any names but one day i decided to try out contact lenses, so obviously i couldn't put them in myself to try them so he had to, problem was he had sersiously breath and i mean bad, it could knock a horse at 20 paces !!! And to make matters worse he was struggling to get the contacts in and all the time he's inches away from my face talking to me and i just wanna get the hell outta there forget about the contacts !!! Thankfully when i went back he got them out in seconds !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Misticles wrote: »
    any place you go to where you have an appointment, you can be delayed!! due to un foreseen reasons ie. an older person was in there and they take longer to test. what kind of lenses do you wear?
    ss dont offer the dd option as ss had gathered information on the topic and found out that some people dont like businesses having their bank details. however ss in england offer that option. ss do replace lenses if they are torn in the packet. however if you tear them yourself then maybe you're being clumsy and shouldnt be wearing them!!

id rather pay the 40 odd quid a month rather than 120 quid up front. :)

Ive been wearing contacts for years and they are brittle. Im far from clusy I can assure you, at least 1 or 2 tear every 6 months from daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

well thats your personal preference! some prefer it some dont. others feel they just go in and pay the full wack as and when they need the lenses!
    ss do replace ones that constantly tear as it can be a bad batch! ya just have to bring them in!! i dont know why they get such a bad name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

The optician in the Swords Eye Centre in the Plaza is very good and I'd recommend him/them to everyone, especially those in the area. Just looks after you well.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    id rather pay the 40 odd quid a month rather than 120 quid up front. :)

Ive been wearing contacts for years and they are brittle. Im far from clusy I can assure you, at least 1 or 2 tear every 6 months from daily use.

Why don't u use daily disposable lenses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

The optician in the Swords Eye Centre in the Plaza is very good and I'd recommend him/them to everyone, especially those in the area. Just looks after you well.

I've use Swords Eye Centre before and was well looked after too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Zorba wrote: »
    Why don't u use daily disposable lenses ?

They dont make dailies to some prescriptions, I would love to use them but I need Toric lenses for my astigmatism and can only get monthly lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I used to go to a well known chain ;) and I found the waiting time terrible...you could be standing in the queue for 20 minutes just to make the appointment! Then for the appt there's be a 20 minute wait for the first part of the exam then another 20 (or more) for the optician and more for the fitting etc.. drove me mad! However the icing on the cake was one time I had broken (smashed) my glasses and when I was making an appt for an eye test for new ones the woman said I couldn't wear contact lenses at all on the morning before the test. Err no I'm -8/ -8 I can't walk 2 steps without some visual correction. She argued with me for ages before saying that ok I could wear my lenses to drive in but to take them out as soon as I got in to town and just walk around without them for a couple of hours before the test. She just didn't get that I can't even see my hand in front of me without them.. walking anywhere is not an option. I finally got so annoyed I just said "forget it!" and ended up going to Colette Walsh in Middle st, Galway who was great. The service there is brilliant.. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes for my appt and the contact lenses are wayyy cheaper. I've taken my kids there too and they were great with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

As a pre-emptive warning (everyone is fine so far :)), can I ask people to keep it civil about opticians that they may not be happy about. ie. please don't start saying that "Dr. Spec Tacular of a certain street is rubbish". Nothing slanderous is permitted.

• Advertisement

dylbert wrote: »
    They dont make dailies to some prescriptions, I would love to use them but I need Toric lenses for my astigmatism and can only get monthly lenses.

Ah right, learn something new everyday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 contactible

faceman wrote: »
    What are your optician experiences? Any that you recommend?

I recently switched from Specsavers Grafton St to Vision Express Henry St.
    VE are excellent. they also keep my appointment time. (I sometimes found myself waiting 30 mins to get seen after my booking time in SS)
    They also have my prescription in extended wear toric contacts (for high strength lenses) which SS dont have!
    They have better payment options, offering a monthly option by DD instead of paying for it all up front.
    Finally they offer a free replacement service if my contacts tear. SS either dont do this or dont advertise it as they never offered it to me.

When posting your experiences, dont make libel comments for your bad stories. In other words if you had a bad experience, dont mention the optician's name otherwise Boards.ie will be in the docks!
    Hi, I dont know where you are based but Im living in Bray. A few weeks ago I noticed a new opticians on Main St in Greystones, called the Greystones eye centre. I think its only open a couple of months. I found the service very friendly and helpful. The lady working at desk took a genuine interest in helping me and could answer all my queries! The optician guy fitted me in for an eye test there and then. He also took a photo of the eye itself (ive never had that done before)....and they had a brilliant range of glasses too! :)
    On down side....Greystones may be a bit far out for some people :(

Advertisement