Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really strange problem

Options
  • 27-11-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I just got a second hand Vaio laptop off ebay, its in perfect order apart from one problem.

Well the problem is not really the laptop iteslf, its the power suply.

When its pulgged in and coected to the laptop it makes my desktop,hifi and CRT computer monitor all emit a strange sound. It doesnt matter where in the house the laptop is plugged in, its always the same.

If the laptop is charging whilst in stand by, the sound is there but to a lesser extent.

Anyone knowwhat I need to do to fix this? Its even the same when its run through an expensive surge protector.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Sounds like a dodgy Power Supply - get back onto eBay and see if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Cheers dude, I might try and get a cheap universal one if I can, anyone know of somewhere to get one? Bricks and mortar shop not internet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Hmmm I also wouldn't advise them either, a power supply is something you definately want to spend a bit of cash on - like brakes in a car haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Watch the VAIO connection if your getting a universal one. Sony use a non-standard connection on the Vaio at least.

Thanks guys, sony power supply it will be then.

Will it do any damage to the laptop if I continue to use it until the new one comes?

Who would have ever thought Sony would use a format/system no one else uses!

Very unlike them what with UMD/Memory Stick.............the list goes on!

OH turns out a new sony one on ebay is only 15euro, not so bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I don't know that there is anything different about the PSU apart from the connection to the laptop itself.

I don't think it'll do any harm to your laptop if you continue to use it.

As a matter of interest have you tried to use this on anyone else's house or office just to rule out some interaction with the ESB supply in your house. A long shot but no point in buying a new PSU and finding it's the same.

I've never come across this problem from a PSU before.

If you could lay hands on another (universal even ) PSY that had the right voltage (my vaio uses 16v), and output wattage / amperage (mine is 4A), you could bodge the connector from your current PSU. JUST MAKE SURE THE POLARITY IS RIGHT!

OK just tried it another house and I cant hear any noise..................really at a lost as to what this is now, it doesn't happen with any other laptop power supply I have used in my house before..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

when you used it in your own home was it connect into a four way ganger lead by any chance with the other item plugged into the same sockets cos it sounds like Electrical interference . I used to get this awhile back . try it in we say an upstairs room if your pc is down stairs .Hopefully the problem is just a dodgy ganger lead .let us know how it goes

Advertisement