Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a silly iTunes question.....but

Options
  • 27-11-2007 1:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi, when i insert my music from my computer into my ituens, am i essentially making a copy of my music in itunes and therefore holding twice the amount of music on my hard drive?

would i be better off having an external hard drive and saving all my music on that and simply copy accross top itunes when i need to?

i have an 80GB harddrive, but because of the copied music i technically can only hold 40GB....does that sound correct?

not to mention all my othr stuff and my autocad files etc etc

thanks for your help in advance,
    keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Yea you would be better off with an external drive just for your music library, it'll save your c drive getting full.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

stephen p wrote: »
    Yea you would be better off with an external drive just for your music library, it'll save your c drive getting full.

cheers stephen, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

No bother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

kceire wrote: »
    hi, when i insert my music from my computer into my ituens, am i essentially making a copy of my music in itunes and therefore holding twice the amount of music on my hard drive?

would i be better off having an external hard drive and saving all my music on that and simply copy accross top itunes when i need to?

i have an 80GB harddrive, but because of the copied music i technically can only hold 40GB....does that sound correct?

not to mention all my othr stuff and my autocad files etc etc

thanks for your help in advance,
    keith.

Depends. There's an option inside iTunes options that controls this.

If you have a folder on your hard drive, say called "rawk music" and you add the contents of that folder to your library then if you have the option ticked "copy files to iTunes music folder ..." (under the advanced tab), iTunes will copy all the tracks into the iTunes music folder giving you two copies of the file on your HDD. If it's not ticked, then it won't do this, you'll stay with the one copy.

Having said that, if half your HDD is taken up with music then it probably would be best to use an external drive to hold it instead - they are cheap and efficient.

Advertisement