Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Species identification?

Options
  • 27-11-2007 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

Right this one has us all stumped here.

I have some timber in 4X4 posts but we cant identify it through any book.

maybe some of ye have come across it before.

its light, I'd give it an ADD of about 450 - 650 KG/M3
    its strong, I'd rate it SD4
    its very light in colour

IT SMELLS LIKE cloves/aniseed

any ideas on a species?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Horse Chestnut?

Just a guess, have checked in 'World Woods In Colour'... the book gives a sample picture of each wood and details like strength, weight and specific gravity, also uses and working properties... no info like the smell unfortunately. There are several woods that are almost white...

Cheers
    Joe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Horse Chestnut?

Just a guess, have checked in 'World Woods In Colour'... the book gives a sample picture of each wood and details like strength, weight and specific gravity, also uses and working properties... no info like the smell unfortunately. There are several woods that are almost white...

Cheers
    Joe

its a Pacific timber of some description, I have a few books here, but like you said none of them describe the smell ( a huge oversight IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Hi May be right off the scent here :D

http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/lignumvitae.php

have u tried this site it may help!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

its a Pacific timber of some description, I have a few books here, but like you said none of them describe the smell ( a huge oversight IMHO).
    I can try asking over on one of the woodturning newsgroups which are mainly populated by our friends from over the pond, they might know. Before I do, I've no idea what this ADD and SD4 stuff is about, could you explain? Also where did you get it? Was it bought for a specific purpose, or did you just 'come by it' somehow?

Arrived in a container a few years ago with some Kwila, Vitex, PNG Rosewood and Taun

AAAAAAANYWAY
    for clarification

ADD = Air Dry Density
    (GD = Green Density)

SD = Strength(rating)Dry

S = Strength (green)

then theres durability ratings

IG = In Ground
    AG = Above Ground
    M = Marine (more specificaly in relation to marine borers)

then of course theres termite and Lyctid resistance

it will either say
    Lycyids S/NS = Susceptable/Non Susceptable

Termite R/NR = Resistant/Non Resistant

and then theres radial and tangential shrinkage ratios for drying

however those are just the terms etc that are used over here in Australia

I presume that there are EU equivalents

• Advertisement

2 examples for clarity

Cooktown Ironwood

ADD = 1220 Kg/M3
    2% radial 3% Tangential
    Lyctid NS Termite R
    IG1
    AG1
    S1
    SD1

a lovely dark brown colour with a nice grain patern, great for makin posts and large structural sections, also a gorgeous floor if anyone wants to buy some ;)

Silky Oak

GD 990 Kg/M3
    ADD 550 Kg/M3
    2% radial 7% tangential
    Lyctids S Termiters NR
    AG3
    IG4
    S5
    SD5

nice furniture timber, good for turnin, very honeyish colour with dark flecks

any help? or have I confused the issue more

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi, didn't realise you were in Australia !! That puts a different perspective on it, and I don't think the guys on the woodturning newsgroup (who are mainly from the US) would know too much about timbers from that part of the world. I'll give it a try though and report back.

Do you know any woodworkers or woodturners locally? I know that woodturning especially is very popular in both Australia and NZ and there would be plenty of local groups and organisations you could contact.

Advertisement