Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the Archos 605 as a DVR.

Options
  • 27-11-2007 11:52am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭

I got the DVR station for the Archos 605 last week, and have hooked it up to my telly ok. However, I was dismayed to find that the program guide you need to download to get the DVR function working is not available for Ireland and NTL, so I tried to get the UK equivalent instead (nearest option).

Needless to say it doesn't work for me. Does anyone else who owns one of these have it working?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

do you have to have the program guide to record? can it not be manually done? because apparently the program guide is only free for a year anyway and if you have to pay after that just to record thats pretty bad

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ya, I noticed that 12 month thing myself. Yes, you have to download the program guide to record as far as I know. The application that loads them doesn't even recognise my player when I plug in the cable, so I can't even get the wrong guide on my pc to see if that allows you to even manually record, and not preset it. Bit of false advertising perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, I noticed that 12 month thing myself. Yes, you have to download the program guide to record as far as I know. The application that loads them doesn't even recognise my player when I plug in the cable, so I can't even get the wrong guide on my pc to see if that allows you to even manually record, and not preset it. Bit of false advertising perhaps?

Ohhhh interesting, I'm thinking of getting one, this would have big implications for me!! Please tell us more.....can you not record directly from the ntl box without needing the epg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

check out archosfans.com forum and someone might be able to help

Im not suprised theres no guide here, all Archos care about are France,US and maybe Uk and Germany.

They dont give too hoots about anywhere else judging by their archos control panel

thanks kaisersose77, i've made a post on the forums just now about it here:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=9692

hoping for a positive reply on the matter but i have my doubts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

does anyone know if the 605 supports the IRISH SKY epg?

Also, how does the DVR change the channels on the digibox and lastly does it work ok with Sky+ etc or do they confict?

i saw a post on archos fans and it looks like it works with the UK Sky EPG which may be a good indication, altho they were having trouble getting to add the pay for sky channels such as movies and sports even tho they were listed in settings

OK, quick update from me. My player wasn't getting the epg (even the wrong one) installed. Once I got the one installed it let me record manually. Better than nothing anyways.

thats good to hear, was afraid without the epg that would cripple recordings completely. i reckon manual recordings just as good anyway seeing as you have to have it on the same channel when recording anyway

Ya, you can set how long it goes before it automatically turns off, so as long as you have enough room to record on you can figure how to record stuff, even if you won't be there. Still not as handy, but maybe the Sky EPG will work for Irish customers, I know NTL doesn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement